Before I started working on my sacral chakra I was really struggling to execute on all of my creative potential and I was unable to go with the flow of life.
If you find yourself being unable to express yourself and to be in tune with your emotions it might be a good time to have a closer look at your sacral chakra balance.
As you explore the powerful and creative force of your own sacral chakra, you will encounter movement and experience duality of life.
So I hope you are ready for a deep, emotional journey into the world of polarity, emotions and sexuality which are the driving forces of your second chakra!
1. What Is The Sacral Chakra?
2. Where Is The Sacral Chakra?
3. What Is The Main Function of Sacral Chakra?
4. Sacral Chakra Symbol Meaning
5. What Does The Sacral Chakra Represent?
6. Why Is The Sacral Chakra Orange?
7. What Causes Sacral Chakra Imbalance?
8. What Are The Main Signs Of Imbalanced Sacral Chakra?
9. Overactive Sacral Chakra
10. Underactive Sacral Chakra
11. How Do I Balance And Heal My Sacral Chakra?
- Healing Sacral Chakra with Self-Nurturance
- Healing Sacral Chakra with Creative & Playful Activities
- Sacral Chakra Meditation
- Sacral Chakra Affirmations
- Sacral Chakra Yoga Poses
- Sacral Chakra Stones
- Healing Sacral Chakra with Tantra
- Healing Sacral Chakra with Essential Oils
- Which Foods Are Good For Sacral Chakra?
What Is The Sacral Chakra?
Sacral chakra is the second chakra from the bottom, situated about 2 inches below the navel in the region of the lower abdomen.
Healthy sacral chakra vibrates to the color of orange with water as its dominant element and its eternal state of movement.
The Sanskrit name for the second chakra is Svadhisthana, which translates into “sweetness”.
Sounds silly? It’s not
When you look through the lens of this chakra, you will see the opportunities to experience the sweetness and joy of life.
The trick is not to focus yourself purely on the pursuit of pleasure but to become fully conscious and present during every single, joyful experience.
Where Is The Sacral Chakra?
In the body, the second chakra is located 3-5 centimetres below the navel and it is usually perceived as a disc of vermillion light.
Location of your sacral chakra can be linked with a nerve plexus called sacral plexus, which is responsible for movement of our pelvis and lower limb muscles.
What Is The Main Function of Sacral Chakra?
Sacral chakra is responsible for healthy flow of your emotions and it deals with your ability to relate to yourself and to the others.
It is the main centre of your creativity and emotional intelligence but the main aspect of second chakra is sexuality.
Sexual energy is one the most powerful energies we have in our body.
With a balanced sacral chakra you can allow yourself to take delight in the pleasure of sex as an integrated aspect of life and see intimacy as a form of communication.
Sexuality is our life force and the sacred ritual of union between people.
So what does the sacral chakra govern?
Physically, sacral chakra governs the entire pelvic region and it is responsible for the hydration of every cell in our body.
Healthy functioning second chakra will enhance your body’s ability to remove all the toxins through the skin, urine and lymphatic system.
Want to know the best part?
The bone at the back of our pelvis is called the sacrum and it was previously known as a ‘holy bone’.
Just like the hub in the wheel, sacrum is located exactly in the centre of our body.
The ancients knew that sacrum was the last bone to decay after our death and because of that, they believed it is necessary for resurrection.
Sacral Chakra Symbol Meaning
The symbol of sacral chakra can be described as an orange lotus flower with six, vermilion-colored petals, which holds a circle and crescent moon inside of it.
The seed mantra in the centre of the sacral chakra symbol is a syllable व VAM.
There is a dot right above the seed mantra symbol which represents Hindu deity Vishnu.
Second chakra is a moon centre with water as its ruling element.
Just as 28-day moon cycle affects the waters in the sea by creating magnetic pull, it also affects our bodies.
For women this repeatedly occurs in relation to 28-day menstrual cycle
But there’s one more element often depicted in Tantric symbol of Svadhisthana:
Inside the crescent moon hides an alligator-like, water creature called makara.
Makara has a long tail which symbolizes the coil of Kundalini and it a representation of our deep desires and unconscious, animal instincts.
What Does The Sacral Chakra Represent?
Consciousness in the second chakra represents the relationship and unification of universal polarities:
- Ying & Yang
- Male & Female
- Sun & Moon
In sacral chakra duality is the motivating force for change because polarities, by their mutual attraction, create movement and work together.
Encountering other people in our life creates a desire inside our body to reach out and move, in order to grow and change.
Change and movement are the basis of sacral chakra purpose - it is complete opposite of root chakra grounded stillness.
What’s the bottom line?
Motion is an essential part of all energy, matter and consciousness.
Without it the universe becomes static and we are all part of this constant process of movement.
Why Is The Sacral Chakra Orange?
Orange ray that radiates from sacral chakra has an optimistic, uplifting and warm glow giving us the freedom to be ourselves.
Orange is a color that can both excite or calm, and it combines the physical energy of red with the joy and happiness of yellow.
Orange is the color of creativity, success and it can be associated with joy and ecstasy.
What’s the bottom line?
If you balance your sacral energy, you will have lots of orange glow in your aura and people will naturally gravitate towards you!
What Causes Sacral Chakra Imbalance?
One of the main reasons of our sacral chakra imbalance is the trauma encountered as a child at the time of the second chakra development.
During that time we form our emotional identity by mirroring our parents and caretakers.
This emotional identity allows us to describe various emotional states later in life so we can move away from that which is painful and move in the direction of pleasure.
Here’s why this so important:
All of our emotions are inherently linked with movement and when our sacral chakra is unbalanced, we tend to repress our emotions by restricting movement.
It is important to realize that we all unconsciously carry wounds from our childhood experiences into adulthood.
How can this help you heal your sacral chakra?
It actually takes a lot of energy to suppress your emotions and feelings.
As you are working with your second chakra, be aware that releasing all of your emotions will help you to let go of tension and trauma.
Absence of tension will allow you to tap into the flow state and create desired change, which is the essence of the sacral chakra.
What Are The Main Signs of Imbalanced Sacral Chakra?
When your second chakra is out of balance, you will feel emotionally out of balance.
You will be either overly ruled by your own emotions and feelings, or feel empty and dull inside.
Take a moment and read through some of the questions below.
It will help you to determine whether you sacral chakra is out of balance:
- Are you unable to fully express your emotions?
- Do you find difficult to recover from the end of an intimate relationship or find yourself in meaningless sexual encounters with fear of commitment to anyone?
- Do you feel that you have fear of success and inability to execute on all of your creative potential?
- Are you unable to move forward in your life because of a traumatic event that happened to you in the past?
- Do feel that you have too many creative ideas and endless to-do-list but always feel the sense of incompleteness?
- Do you suffer from colon, kidneys, ovaries and uterus health issues?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, it might be a good time to look into restoring balance and flow of that energy centre.
Overactive Sacral Chakra
Some of the main signs of your sacral chakra being overactive are:
- Unbalanced expression of pleasure - when your second chakra is too open, search for pleasure never ends with a sense of fulfilment and you end up losing yourself in many stimulating activities (excessive eating, sex, drugs and alcohol).
- Frequent emotional drama – people with overactive sacral chakras tend to feel everyone else’s emotions and get involved into many dramatic relationships.
- Lack of focus – when your sacral chakra is spinning too fast, you will be able to give birth to multitude of creative ideas but won’t follow through with any of them to completion.
- Aggressiveness and explosiveness - these are some the most extreme behaviours linked with overactive sacral chakra
- Addictive behaviours – sexual addiction, food addiction or food addiction are some of the major indicators of overactive second chakra
- Seeking attention – desire to be acknowledged comes from a deep fear of never being able to give enough. Many people use a sexual encounter as a way of getting attention.
Underactive Sacral Chakra
Some of the main signs of your sacral chakra being underactive are:
- Lack of desire – when sacral is blocked we might lose interest in sexual intimacy and suffer from loss of libido. This can be directly linked to childhood trauma, especially if we feel some level of disgust and frustration when it comes to our sexuality.
- Lack of creativity – this is a major signal of underactive second chakra which is our centre of creativity. If you find yourself living your life on auto pilot, without any desire to try new things, your sacral chakra might be blocked.
- Insecurity and Anxiety – social anxiety will affect your ability to communicate and relate to other human beings. When sacral chakra is underactive you will very often feel inadequate and uncomfortable in social situations.
- Lifeless and passive – this can be expressed when you lack the ability to play and lose yourself spontaneously in the wonder of life
How Do I Balance and Heal My Sacral Chakra?
Cultivating a balanced sacral chakra requires you to awaken all of your feelings to the beauty of life with a sense of deep satisfaction.
When energy of your second chakra flows freely through your pelvis, you will be able to maintain a positive self-image and always feel good about yourself.
So what are the most important elements of 2nd chakra healing?
Sacral chakra healing journey involves developing healthy relationship with how you experience pleasure in your life - it is essential for the health of your body and spirit.
Unfortunately, modern society conditioned many of us to beware of pleasure and taught us to repress our natural bodily impulses.
Unblocking your sacral chakra also involves movement and exercises to stimulate energy moving through this area.
Repressed emotions and feelings are very often trapped inside our bodies
Exercise is one of the best ways of releasing and letting go of them.
Let’s take a look at some of my favourite healing methods and practices that I personally tried to restore balance of my sacral chakra:
1. Healing Sacral Chakra with Self-Nurturance
Simple self-nurturing activities such as taking a hot bath with your favourite music, eating your favourite food or getting a massage are great starting point in second chakra healing process.
Nurturance is a fundamental need of our body, mind and a soul.
Get creative and think about something you really enjoy doing and reach out for this experience of pleasure with full awareness, and without any sense of guilt.
Get past your judgements, slow down the process and get fully into this experience.
At the end of this experiment ask yourself couple of questions:
- Where in your body did you experience most pleasure?
- How did you feel?
- Can you describe all sensations and feelings?
2. Healing Sacral Chakra with Creative & Playful Activities
Creative and playful activities promote healthy social and emotional development. Without them life becomes monotonous and they are very often overlooked as we grow up.
Consider getting yourself a spiral notebook or diary and start writing your feeling and thoughts for minimum of 5 minutes every day.
Journaling is a great way of clearing your mind and releasing all of your thoughts, emotions and feelings and it will make you feel lighter.
Another great way of healing your sacral chakra through playful activities is trying out something new which involves physical movement:
- Go dancing this weekend or sign up for a dance class
- Try out your local gym, yoga studio or crossfit class
- Go for a hike or bike ride in the nature
- Talk to that person you never talked before
Be spontaneous and use your imagination to come up with some playful activities that you always wanted to do but you’ve been postponing them for a long time.
3. Sacral Chakra Meditation
One of my favourite sacral chakra meditation techniques is water meditation.
This meditation is very similar to any other traditional meditation practice.
The only difference is that you will add water element into your practice.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Before you start your water meditation practice, pour yourself a large glass water.
- Sit down in a lotus pose with your spine straight, relax your body and take a few deep breaths
- Start drinking your water slowly
- Concentrate on the feeling of water pouring down through your entire body, feel the coolness of it
- As you get deeper into this meditation shift your focus to your sacral chakra and imagine an orange, translucent light in this area
- Visualize it expanding and filling up your entire pelvis with orange glow
- Be aware of the balance it brings into your life and take as long as you need to integrate this beautiful energy
- When you are ready, gently allow your sacral chakra to close and open your eyes
You can finish your water meditation with this affirmation:
“I flow with the natural harmony of the universe and allow myself to accept all the good things it has to offer”
4. Sacral Chakra Affirmations
Here are some of the most powerful sacral chakra affirmations which you can use during your meditation to help you restore balance in this energy centre:
- I am passionate about my life
- I am sensual and creative being
- I am in touch with my feelings and emotions
- The universe is full of sweetness and beauty
- I receive pleasure and abundance with every breath I take
- I give myself full permission to enjoy all pleasures of life
- I give myself full permission to fully enjoy my sexuality
- Rest and play are a regular part of my life
- I am joyful. I am spontaneous. I am creative
- I trust my intuition and allow it to guide me
- As I love and respect myself, healing happens naturally
5. Sacral Chakra Yoga Poses
Balancing sacral chakra with yoga exercises involves building strength and flexibility in your hips, and in all the muscles surrounding your pelvis.
Some of the best yoga poses for second chakra are:
- Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
- Goddess Pose (Utkata Konasana)
- Squat Pose (Malasana)
- Child’s Pose (Balasana)
- Pigeon Pose (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana)
- Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
- Locust Pose (Salabhasana)
6. Sacral Chakra Stones
Just like every other chakra, svadhisthana can be balanced with specific stones and crystals.
What crystals and stones are good for sacral chakra?
Some of the best gemstones that will help you to heal sacral chakra include orange carnelian, golden topaz, golden tiger’s eye and gold citrine.
You can use any these powerful sacral chakra stones and crystals by holding them, wearing them in the form of jewelry or simply having them around your house.
Orange Carnelian – this beautiful stone is believed to reduce apathy and lift our spirit by bringing us more joy, pleasure and helping us to cheer up people around us.
Carnelian will also help you to overcome some of your biggest fears by helping you to become more courageous and decisive.
Orange carnelian is a really good stimulant for the circulation which can help us to improve the flow of energy, encouraging better oxygenation of all body cells.
- Golden Topaz – this stunning yellow stone will help you to balance your emotions and increase your creativity (great gemstone for artists and musicians). It is an excellent crystal to boost your confidence, reduce fear, anger and anxiety. Physically it is believed to improve your digestion and metabolism.
- Golden Tiger’s Eye – tiger’s eye is one of the best stones to balance the feminine and masculine energies within us and unlock our creative forces. Shiny fibers of this gemstone will increase your happiness and success allowing you to better connect to the present moment and enjoy simple things in life. Physically it can help you to slow down your metabolism and improve your digestion.
- Gold Citrine – it is a crystal of success and happiness which will help you to live your life with more enthusiasm. It is believed to bring more confidence, clarity and meaning into your life. It can also help you to be more flexible in life, follow your intuition and let go of the past that no longer serves you.
7. Healing Sacral Chakra with Tantra
Contrary to many contemporary beliefs Tantra is actually not all about sex.
Tantra is the sacred dance of reuniting duality and it is mostly about spiritual connection between you and your partner.
The passage of energy between the couple engaged in intimate relationship can have powerful healing properties and allow you to restore balance in your sacral chakra.
Since the sacral chakra is our centre of sexuality, through the intensity of sexual excitement, every chakra in your body will vibrate with higher intensity.
If you haven’t heard anything about Tantra yet, I would encourage you to look into this ancient practice – entire chakra system originates from Tantric philosophy.
Tantra will help you to better understand yourself and reach higher state of consciousness.
8. Healing Sacral Chakra with Essential Oils
Aromatherapy and essential oils with earthy aroma can be great tools for restoring the balance in within blocked sacral chakra because it is directly connected to your sense of smell.
Some of the best essential oils for healing the sacral chakra include sandalwood, cardamom, jasmine, cinnamon bark and sage.
What’s the best way of using essential oils for blocked chakra?
One of the best ways of making the most of your essential oil is using diffuser or aroma humidifier which will also create soothing smell in your room and help you resolve any dry skin issues.
Another great way of using any of the sacral chakra essential oils is to apply them directly onto your skin and having a relaxing foot massage.
9. Which Foods Are Good For Sacral Chakra?
Healthy sacral chakra vibrates at the frequency similar to the orange color, therefore eating orange-colored foods such as oranges, carrots, mangoes, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, apricots and cantaloupe will help you to restore the balance in your second chakra.
Second group of foods which can help you with working on your blocked sacral chakra are foods with high water content – make sure your diet is abundant in fresh, organic fruits and vegetables.
But there is something even more important for healthy balance in 2nd chakra:
Types of food that we eat are not as important for your sacral chakra as your emotional relationship with the food.
Use creativity when you prepare your meals and aim for a pleasurable experience with variety of flavors, when eating your favourite foods.
Let me share few extra things that I learned about food when I was working with my second chakra:
- Pay attention to all of your senses during a meal.
- Unfortunately due to our busy lifestyle, most people rush through their meals. Try to eat your meals slowly and enjoy every single bite.
- Involve your friends and family in the process of meal creation.
- You might have heard it when you were younger: “Do not play with your food!”. Completely ignore this advice and do the exact opposite: play as much as you want with food on your plate!
- Always give gratitude for a meal.
Take notes and observe your food cravings – they are all tied to your emotions and they all have different meanings.
Judith, A. (1990). The Truth About Chakras, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
Judith, A. (1999). Wheels of Life - A User’s Guide to The Chakra System, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
Minich, D.M. (2009). Chakra Foods For Optimum Health, San Francisco, CA: Conari Press.
Simpson, S. (2002). Chakras for Starters, Nevada City, CA: Crystal Clarity Publishers.
Shola Arewa, C. (2001). Way of The Chakras, London: Thorsons.
Davies, B. (2000). The 7 Healing Chakras, Berkeley, CA: Ulysses Press.
Vollmar, K. (1987). Journey through the Chakras, Wellow, Bath: Gateway Books.
Motoyama, H. (1981). Theories of The Chakras, New Delhi: New Age Books