Heart Chakra, or 'Anahata', is the central point of your entire chakra system and a place where you can finally realize the oneness of all things.
Healing your heart chakra will allow you to ultimately transcend the ego and connect to the unifying force of love.
Love is the essence of your soul, and your heart center has its own unique intelligence.
- Would you like to learn how to forget the past and live entirely in the present moment?
- Have you ever wondered how to escape the illusion of duality?
- Do you wish to become aware of who you truly are?
In this article, I am going to attempt to answer some of these questions and help you to discover the unlimited potential, which resides within your beautiful heart chakra.
Let’s dive in.
1. What Is The Heart Chakra?
2. What Is The Function of Heart Chakra?
3. Heart Chakra Symbol Meaning | What Does The Heart Chakra Represent?
4. Heart Chakra Color Meaning | Why Is The Heart Chakra Green?
5. Heart Chakra Imabalance | What Are The Main Signs Of Imbalanced Heart Chakra?
6. Heart Chakra Blockage
7. Heart Chakra Healing
8. How Do Open My Heart Chakra?
- Heart Chakra Breathing Exercises
- Heart Chakra Affirmations
- Heart Chakra Yoga Poses
- Heart Chakra Meditation
- Heart Chakra Stones and Crystals
- Healing Heart Chakra with Food
- Healing Heart Chakra with Essential Oils
9. Heart Chakra Opening Symptoms
What Is The Heart Chakra?
The heart chakra is the fourth energy center from the bottom, located in the middle of the chest, near the heart.
The Sanskrit name for a heart chakra is ‘Anahata’, which translates to “unstruck” or “sound that is made without any two things striking” as it integrates two opposite forces (body and mind) with the unifying energy of love.
Heart chakra acts as a bridge between 3 lower chakras and 3 upper chakras. Balanced heart chakra vibrates to the color of green, with air as its dominant element.
Healthy heart chakra radiates the energy of unconditional love, openness, joy, compassion, and acceptance of the oneness of all life.
What Is The Function of Heart Chakra?
Heart chakra functions as your spiritual center, which helps you to grow a loving connection to yourself and others by cultivating compassion, empathy, joy of being alive, and truth.
Anahata connects you to the energy of life and a spirit through the power of unconditional love. In other words, your heart is a bridge between the ego and a spirit.
When your heart chakra is in its healthiest state, it allows you to have a sense of oneness with everything and transcend duality. The energy of the heart chakra is similar to the qualities of air: it is expansive, formless, soft, and gentle.
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRA AFFIRMATION POSTER TODAY!
DOWNLOAD & PRINT IT FOR YOURSELF
Heart Chakra Symbol Meaning
The heart chakra symbol is represented by a green lotus with 12 petals and 2 intersecting triangles in the center, forming a hexagram. The first triangle symbolizes God’s masculine essence (interpreted as Shiva), and the second symbolizes God’s feminine essence (interpreted as Shakti).
Each petal of the heart chakra lotus is associated with one of 12 virtues of a pure heart:
In Hindu mythology, Vaju, who is at the center of a heart chakra symbol, is the god associated with the heart chakra. Vaju is also known as the “deity of Life” and the god of air and wind.
Heart Chakra Color Meaning
Green is a naturally calming color of life, as it encourages a general sense of good health and well-being. Green is also associated with feelings of compassion, kindness, and love.
The powerful energy of green represents growth, expansion, and openness. Green is the most soothing color to your mind.
The abundance of green can be found anywhere in nature, so one of the best things you can do for your heart chakra is to spend some time outside in a forest or a park.
Heart Chakra Imbalance
Some of the main signs of imbalance in your heart chakra can be noticed as over-attachment in love, co-dependency, neediness, and feeling exhausted all the time.
When your heart chakra is imbalanced, it is difficult to relate to others, embrace others, and feel empathy or compassion.
Imagine a person who desperately needs love, but at the same time is really afraid of it. The threat of lowering the defenses and letting the love in would leave him/her exposed and afraid of losing control.
Take a moment and read through some of the questions below.
It will help you to determine whether your heart chakra is out of balance:
- Do you have trouble loving yourself and expressing your feelings openly?
- Do you often ask yourself: ‘what is the meaning of life’?
- Do you feel vulnerable to other people’s negativity?
- Do you feel helpless and exhausted when dealing with other people’s problems? Can you allow yourself to step back to let them learn through their own mistakes?
- Are you able to let go and trust that things in your life are unfolding exactly as they are meant to?
- Can you fully accept other people’s flaws, weaknesses, and imperfections without any criticism and judgment?
- Do you often feel that you are not enough?
- Do you struggle to find your inner peace, joy, and happiness?
If you answered ‘yes’ to most of these questions, it might be a good time to open your heart to the radiance of love and bring more balance into your heart center.
Heart Chakra Blockage
When your heart chakra is blocked, you will experience an overwhelming feeling of emptiness, apathy, stress, anxiety, lack of genuine connection with others, and lack of self-trust.
One of the main reasons for heart chakra blockage is the fear of living an authentic life. Restoring the balance in that center calls for an honest assessment of your current lifestyle.
Here’s why authenticity is so important for blocked heart chakra:
When you are aligned with your core values, you can fully accept your deepest desires and no longer do things for others to be accepted. This process requires lots of self-awareness and the ability to transcend your own limitations and old habits.
Further down in this article, I am going to give you some of my favorite methods to ‘break the habit of being yourself’ and open up your blocked heart chakra.
Chakra Lover Gifts
What is the example of someone with a blocked heart chakra?
An unbalanced expression of love can be best illustrated by the dysfunctional archetype of The Actor / Actress. Actor/Actress refers to a person whose love is conditional and approaches every relationship with a hidden agenda.
This type of behavior is unhealthy and harmful to the heart chakra. Their pain normally comes from old hurts, previous relationship traumas, and leads to love with many strings attached. The actor/Actress archetype won’t let anyone come too close, as it is normally difficult for them to drop the old, emotional baggage and let the love in.
Heart Chakra Healing
The process of healing your green chakra involves opening and expanding your heart space by letting the energy of love in.
Your heart chakra is your powerful healing center, and the energy of love is considered to be the ultimate healing force. The best starting point on your heart chakra healing journey would be accepting and loving yourself.
Did you know that the human heart is about 100,000 times stronger electrically and up to 5,000 times stronger magnetically than the brain? The electromagnetic field of your heart (EMF) extends up to 15 feet (4.5m) around the body.
So, how can this help you on your healing journey?
You must not forget that your heart center is extremely powerful, and it has immense capacity to heal itself if you surrender yourself to love.
Let’s talk about some specific tools and methods you can use to heal your heart chakra.
How Do I Open My Heart Chakra?
The number 1 step you can take on the way to open your heart chakra is to make the following commitment: I am going to live a life from a place of love and fully accept myself.
The power of love helps you to ultimately transcend the illusion of duality created by the mind and realize that there is only oneness.
Healing and opening your heart chakra is a natural process, which leads to spiritual awakening. Living in a state of joy and engaging in activities that make your heart happy are some of the best remedies for restoring balance in your heart chakra.
The unconditional love of a healthy heart is the most powerful force in the universe. People with highly developed heart chakras have a glowing, radiant, and expansive energy field.
Here are some of the best healing methods I personally tried when I was working on restoring balance in my heart chakra:
1. Heart Chakra Breathing Exercises
Breath is one of the best ways of working with your heart chakra. Hindus understand the importance of breath (sometimes referred to as 'prana') and its purifying energy.
Pranayama techniques in yoga have been designed to practice breath control, increase the oxygen flow in the body, and expand consciousness. Breath in traditional Chinese culture (known as “Qi”, which translates to “air” or “life force”) is the foundation of medicine and martial arts, such as Qigong.
Air is the element that represents the qualities of heart chakra: expansiveness, freedom, and a constant flow. Breath is your energetic life force and a primary nutrient of the body.
Let’s have a look at some of my favorite breathing exercises for a healthy heart chakra.
It is an easy and powerful breathing technique that involves contracting your diaphragm muscle, which separates the abdomen from the chest.
The best way to practice diaphragmatic breathing is to place one of your hands over your chest and the other hand on your belly.
When you take an inhale, your belly is supposed to expand and poke out with your lower hand going outward.
There should be a minimal movement of your upper hand, and the air during inhalation should be going downward. As you exhale, the air is going upward, and your belly contracts.
Practice this technique daily for 5-10 minutes to get into the habit of breathing from the belly, not the chest.
This is my personal favorite breathing technique, which works wonders on releasing stress, anxiety, increasing your focus, creativity, happiness, and connecting with the power of love.
Gamma breathing shifts your brain into the gamma state. Gamma brainwaves are of the highest frequency in our brain (40-200Hz), and they are much more active in experienced meditators.
The good news is that you can easily shift your brain into this state by using this breathing technique!
Gamma breath consists of 4 cycles of breathing, where you alternate between breathing through your mouth and nose.
|BREATHE IN (3 sec inhale)||BREATHE OUT (3 sec exhale)|
Repeat this sequence at least 3 times and let me know in the comments below the article what do you think of it.
You can learn more about the power of gamma waves on the Mindvalley blog. (https://blog.mindvalley.com/gamma-brain-waves/).
Alternate Nostril Breathing
Alternate nostril breathing, also known as nadi shodana, is a purifying breathing technique used to release trapped energy channels in your body and calm the mind.
Nadi shodana will fill your heart center with oxygen and allow you to experience a gentle, cooling sensation throughout your body.
Here’s how to do alternate nostril breathing:
- Sit down with your back straight.
- Take your index finger and middle finger of your right hand and fold it towards your palm.
- Use the right thumb to close the right nostril and slowly inhale through the left nostril.
- Pause after the inhale and seal the left nostril with your ring finger.
- Slowly exhale through the right nostril.
- Keep your ring finger in the same place and inhale through the right side.
- Seal the right nostril with a thumb and exhale through the left.
- Keep your thumb in the same place and inhale through the left nostril.
If you find it confusing, keep in mind that each time you inhale, you're sealing and alternating to the next nostril.
Breath of Fire
Breath of fire, also known as Kapalabhati Pranayama, is a powerful detoxifying breathing technique, which involves a series of short and powerful nose inhales (exhale is passive).
Breath of fire is very often performed during kundalini yoga exercises. It will increase the blood flow to your heart center, detoxify the body, and bring more clarity to your mind.
Kapalabhati is an intermediate breathing technique, and it is not recommended for people with certain health conditions. Please consult with a physician, or check with a qualified yoga instructor before trying this technique.
2. Heart Chakra Affirmations
Try some of these powerful heart chakra affirmations, which can be used throughout the day, or during your meditation to strengthen this energy center:
- I am worthy of love.
- I am open to giving and receiving love.
- I love myself unconditionally.
- I have the strength to follow my heart.
- I am fulfilling my heart’s desire.
- I can let go of the past to forgive myself and others.
- I have the willingness and ability to forgive myself and forgive others.
- I am open with my feelings in all my relationships.
- I am grateful for all my blessings.
- I am love, I am peace, I am light.
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRA AFFIRMATION POSTER TODAY!
3. Heart Chakra Yoga Poses
Yoga is a great way to work with your heart chakra, as certain physical poses (asanas) will allow you to open up your chest and shoulders.
Yoga also improves the oxygen circulation in your body, as most of the yoga exercises involve working with your breath (air is the primary element of Anahata).
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRAS YOGA POSTER TODAY!
Some of the best yoga poses to open up your heart chakra include:
- Locust Pose (Salabhasana)
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
- Wheel Pose (Urdhva Dhanurasana)
- Upward Plank Pose (Purvottanasana)
- Half Boat Pose (Paripurna Navasana)
- Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana)
4. Heart Chakra Meditation
This wonderful heart chakra meditation will help you to bridge the gap between the mind and the body. During this mediation, you will imagine the green color, focus on the feelings of love, and integrate the breath as a key to your heart center.
- Sit down with your back straight and relax your body by taking a few deep breaths.
- Once you are fully relaxed, start visualizing yourself surrounded by nature. It might be somewhere deep in the forest or a beautiful, green garden.
- Spend a few minutes there, enjoying the serenity, peace, and quietness.
- As you go deeper into this meditation, gently shift your attention to your heart chakra and imagine a green circle of energy right in the middle of your chest.
- Keep on breathing into our heart center and inflate this circle with feelings of joy, compassion, kindness, and unconditional love.
- Enjoy the healing energy which emanates from your heart space
- Stay in this state for at least a few minutes to integrate this transformative energy.
- Finish your meditation by placing the left hand on your chest and saying the words: “Thank you, I love you.”
- Recognize that ultimately you are the love that you feel.
OUR BEST SELLERS
5. Heart Chakra Stones and Crystals
Crystal and gemstones are perfect for healing your heart chakra. Some of the best gemstones that will help you to improve your relationships and restore balance in your heart center are:
Rose Quartz - this powerful, pink crystal vibrates with the energy of unconditional love. Rose Quartz is very often called the ‘Heart Stone’ as it stimulates the loving energy of the heart throughout your entire aura. Rose Quartz is the best crystal for purifying the heart.
Emerald – this beautiful, green gemstone is very often called the “Stone of Successful Love” as it offers healing energy to your heart chakra, and it restores the balance between partners in a relationship. Emerald has a calming effect on your emotions, and it can be used to heal your heart after an unsuccessful relationship.
Malachite – it is a mesmerizing, green stone of protection, which is known for absorbing negative energies from your aura. Malachite will guide you to develop a healthy relationship with yourself and others.
Rhodonite – this beautiful pink stone is also known as the “Stone of Self Love & Unconditional Love”, so it is a perfect match for healing your heart chakra. Rhodonite will balance your emotions and protect you from envy or jealousy. It is an excellent gemstone for healing emotional scars after a painful breakup.
You can use any of these powerful heart chakra stones and crystals by holding them, wearing them in the form of jewelry, or simply having them around your house.
GET YOUR COLORFUL CHAKRA STONES CHART TODAY!
6. Healing Heart Chakra with Food
Physical food for higher chakras has a more symbolic meaning. The best type of “food” for your heart chakra would be a life filled with joy, purpose, compassion, acceptance, and love.
The heart chakra is about eating physical food with an open heart by infusing every meal with love.
Our 3 lower chakras serve the following aspects of our body:
- Root chakra looks at the food from the survival point of view
- The sacral chakra is all about the pleasure of eating
- Solar plexus chakra deals with the transformation of food into energy
Heart chakra acts as a bridge between the body (represented by the lower three chakras) and the mind (represented by the 5th, 6th, and 7th chakra). Some of the most important lessons of your heart chakra when it comes to food are:
- Infuse love into your meals by using only the highest quality ingredients (organic, locally grown, and sourced)
- Express gratitude for a meal, especially when it is prepared with love
- Share meals with others
- Eat more plant foods and raw fruits and vegetables (for example, dark leafy greens)
Some of the best green foods which resonate with your heart chakra are:
- Fruits – avocadoes, green grapes, kiwis, pears, green apples, honeydew melons
- Vegetables – Dark leafy greens (kale, spinach, arugula), broccoli, celery, bok choy, lettuce, collard greens, cucumbers, Brussels sprouts
- Legumes – Green beans, green peas, edamame
7. Healing Heart Chakra with Essential Oils
Essential oils are a great way of working with the air element of your heart chakra. They will stimulate your circulatory system, balance the blood pressure, and harmonize the rhythm of your heart.
Some of the best essential oils for healing the heart chakra include jasmine, lavender, cypress, sandalwood, orange, tangerine, and rose.
What’s the best way of using essential oils for blocked chakra?
One of the best ways of making the most of your essential oil is using a diffuser or aroma humidifier, which will also create a soothing smell in your room and help you to resolve any dry skin issues.
Another great way of using any of the heart chakra essential oils is to apply them directly onto your skin or having a relaxing foot massage.
Heart Chakra Opening Symptoms
Your heart chakra has the power to open itself when you begin to surrender to the power of love.
Lack of judgment towards yourself and others is one of the main symptoms that your heart is opening. You begin to have compassion towards others and seek to help them on their journey of awakening.
You are able to let go and forgive, which releases a powerful healing force into your life.
Balanced heart chakra allows other people to feel at peace when they’re around you because you are full of joy, passion, and your heart is filled with love and faith.
- Davies, B. (2000). The 7 Healing Chakras, Berkeley, CA: Ulysses Press.
- Helbert, K. (2019). The Chakras In Grief and Trauma, London, Singing Dragon.
- Judith, A. (1990). The Truth About Chakras, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Judith, A. (1999). Wheels of Life - A User’s Guide to The Chakra System, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Minich, D.M. (2009). Chakra Foods For Optimum Health, San Francisco, CA: Conari Press.
- Motoyama, H. (1981). Theories of The Chakras, New Delhi: New Age Books.
- Perrakis, A. (2018). The Ultimate Guide To Chakras, Beverly: Fair Winds Press.
- Redmond, L. (2010). Chakra Meditation, CO: Sounds True.
- Simpson, S. (2002). Chakras for Starters, Nevada City, CA: Crystal Clarity Publishers.
- Shola Arewa, C. (2001). Way of The Chakras, London: Thorsons.
- Wauters, A. (1997). Chakras and Their Archetypes, London: Judy Piatkus Publishers Ltd.
Would you like to take your chakra healing knowledge to the next level and learn more from some of these wonderful authors?
We have created a comprehensive list of Top 10 Chakra Healing Books Available To Buy Right Now.
7 Chakras Healing Guides
If you enjoyed this article and would like to learn how balance and heal your other chakras, feel free to check out some of our other chakra healing guides:
- Root Chakra Healing Guide | Muladhara Chakra | 1st Chakra
- Sacral Chakra Healing Guide | Svadhisthana Chakra | 2nd Chakra
- Solar Plexus Chakra Healing Guide | Manipura Chakra | 3rd Chakra
- Throat Chakra Healing Guide | Vishuddha Chakra | 5th Chakra
- Third Eye Chakra Healing Guide | Ajna Chakra | 6th Chakra
- Crown Chakra Healing Guide | Sahasrara Chakra | 7th Chakra