Heart Chakra, also known in Sanskrit as 'anahata', is the central point of your entire chakra system and a place, where you can finally realize the oneness of all things.
Healing you heart chakra will allow you to ultimately transcend the ego and connect to the unifying force of love.
Love is the essence of your soul and your heart centre has its own, unique intelligence.
- Would you like to learn how to forget the past and live entirely in the present moment?
- Have you ever wondered how to escape the illusion of duality?
- Do you wish to become aware of who you truly are?
In this article, I am going to attempt to answer some of these questions and help you to discover the unlimited potential, which resides within your beautiful heart chakra.
1. What Is The Heart Chakra?
2. What Is The Function of Heart Chakra?
3. What Does The Heart Chakra Represent?
4. Why Is The Heart Chakra Green?
5. What Are The Main Signs Of Imbalanced Heart Chakra?
6. Heart Chakra Blockage
7. Heart Chakra Healing
8. How Do Open My Heart Chakra?
- Heart Chakra Breathing Exercises
- Heart Chakra Affirmations
- Heart Chakra Yoga Poses
- Heart Chakra Meditation
- Heart Chakra Stones and Crystals
- Healing Heart Chakra with Food
- Healing Heart Chakra with Essential Oils
9. Heart Chakra Opening Symptoms
What Is The Heart Chakra?
Heart chakra is the fourth energy center from the bottom, located in the middle of the chest, near the heart.
The Sanskrit name for a heart chakra is ‘anahata’, which translates to “unstruck” or “sound that is made without any two things striking”, as it integrates two opposite forces (body and mind) with the unifying energy of love.
Heart chakra acts a bridge between 3 lower chakras, and 3 upper chakras.
Balanced heart chakra vibrates to the color of green, with air as its dominant element.
Healthy heart chakra radiates the energy of unconditional love, openness, joy, compassion and acceptance of the oneness of all life.
What Is The Function of Heart Chakra?
Heart chakra functions as your spiritual center, which helps you to grow loving connection to yourself and others by cultivating compassion, empathy, joy of being alive and truth.
Anahata connects you to the energy of life and a spirit, through the power of unconditional love. In other words, your heart is a bridge between the ego and a spirit.
When your heart chakra is in its healthiest state, it allows you to have a sense of oneness with everything and transcend duality.
The energy of heart chakra is similar to the qualities of air: it is expansive, formless, soft and gentle.
What Does The Heart Chakra Represent?
Heart chakra symbol is represented by a green lotus with 12 petals and 2 intersecting triangles in the center, forming a hexagram.
First triangle symbolizes God’s masculine essence (interpreted as Shiva) and second symbolizes God’s feminine essence (interpreted as Shakti).
Each petal of the heart chakra lotus is associated with one of 12 virtues of a pure heart:
In Hindu mythology, Vaju who is at the centre of a heart chakra symbol, is the god associated with the heart chakra
Vaju is also known as “deity of Life” and the god of air, and wind.
Why Is The Heart Chakra Green?
Green is a naturally calming color of life, as it encourages a general sense of good health and well-being. Green is also associated with feelings of compassion, kindness and love.
Powerful energy of green represents growth, expansion, and openness.
Green is the most soothing color to your mind.
Abundance of green can be found anywhere in nature, therefore one of the best things you can do for your heart chakra is to spend some time outside in a forest or a park.
What Are The Main Signs Of Imbalanced Heart Chakra?
Some of the main signs of imbalance in your heart chakra can be noticed as over-attachment in love, co-dependency, neediness and feeling exhausted all the time.
When your heart chakra is imbalanced, it is difficult to relate to others, embrace others, and feel empathy or compassion.
Imagine a person who desperately needs love, but at the same time is really afraid of it.
The threat of lowering the defences and letting the love in would leave him/her exposed, and afraid of losing control.
Take a moment and read through some of the questions below.
It will help you to determine whether your heart chakra is out of balance:
- Do you have trouble loving yourself and expressing your feelings openly?
- Do you often ask yourself ‘what is the meaning of life’?
- Do you feel vulnerable to the other people’s negativity?
- Do you feel helpless and exhausted when dealing with other people’s problems? Can you allow yourself to step back to let them learn through their own mistakes?
- Are you able to let go and trust that things in your life are unfolding exactly as they are meant to?
- Can you fully accept other people’s flaws, weaknesses and imperfections without any criticism and judgement?
- Do you often feel that you are not enough?
- Do you struggle to find your inner peace, joy and happiness?
If you answered ‘yes’ to most of these questions, it might be a good time to open your heart to the radiance of love and bring more balance into your heart centre.
Heart Chakra Blockage
When your heart chakra is blocked you will experience overwhelming feeling of emptiness, apathy, stress, anxiety, lack of genuine connection with others and lack of self-trust.
One of the main reasons of heart chakra blockage is a fear of living an authentic life.
Restoring the balance in that centre calls for an honest assessment of your current lifestyle.
Here’s why authenticity is so important for blocked heart chakra:
When you are aligned with your core values you are able to fully accept your deepest desires and no longer do things for others, in order to be accepted.
This process requires lots of self-awareness and ability to transcend your own limitations and old habits.
Further down in this article, I am going to give you some of my favourite methods to ‘break the habit of being yourself’ and open up your blocked heart chakra.
What is the example of someone with a blocked heart chakra?
Unbalanced expression of love can be best illustrated by the dysfunctional archetype of The Actor / Actress.
Actor/Actress refers to a person whose love is conditional and approaches every relationship with a hidden agenda.
This type of behaviour is unhealthy and harmful for the heart chakra.
Their pain normally comes from old hurts, previous relationship traumas and leads to love with many strings attached.
Actor/Actress archetype won’t let anyone come too close, as it is normally very difficult for them to drop the old, emotional baggage and let the love in.
Heart Chakra Healing
The process of healing your green chakra involves opening and expanding your heart space by letting the energy of love in.
Your heart chakra is your powerful healing centre and energy of love is considered to be the ultimate healing force.
The best starting point on your heart chakra healing journey would be accepting and loving yourself.
Did you know that human heart is about 100,000 times stronger electrically and up to 5,000 times stronger magnetically than the brain?
Electromagnetic field of your heart (EMF) extends up to 15 feet (4.5m) around the body.
So, how can this help you on your healing journey?
You must not forget that your heart centre is extremely powerful and it has immense capacity to heal itself if you surrender yourself to love.
Let’s talk about some specific tools and methods you can use to heal your heart chakra.
OUR BEST SELLERS
How Do I Open My Heart Chakra?
The number 1 step you can take on the way to open your heart chakra is to make a following commitment: I am going to live a life from a place of love and fully accept myself.
Power of love helps you to ultimately transcend the illusion of duality created by the mind and realise that, there is only oneness.
Healing and opening your heart chakra is a natural process on a way to spiritual awakening.
Living in a state of joy and engaging in activities that make your heart happy are some of the best remedies for restoring balance in your heart chakra.
Unconditional love of a healthy heart is the most powerful force in the universe.
People with highly developed heart chakras have a glowing, radiant and expansive energy field.
Here are some of the best healing methods I have personally tried when I was working on restoring balance in my heart chakra:
1. Heart Chakra Breathing Exercises
Breath is one of the best ways of working with your heart chakra.
Hindus understand the importance breath (sometimes referred to as 'prana') and its purifying energy.
Pranayama techniques in yoga have been designed to practice the control of breath, increase the oxygen flow in the body and expand consciousness.
Breath in traditional Chinese culture (known as “Qi”, which translates to “air” or “life force”) is the foundation of medicine and martial arts, such as Qigong.
Air is the element that represents the qualities of heart chakra: expansiveness, freedom and a constant flow.
Breath is your energetic life force and a primary nutrient of the body.
Let’s have a look at some of my favourite breathing exercises for a healthy heart chakra.
It’s time to slow down, relax and take a deep breath.
It is a very easy and powerful breathing technique, that involves contracting your diaphragm muscle, which separates abdomen from the chest.
The best way to practice diaphragmatic breathing is to place one of your hands over your chest, and the other hand on your belly.
When you take an inhale your belly is supposed to expand and poke out with your lower hand going outward.
There should be a minimal movement of your upper hand and the air during inhalation should be going downward.
As you exhale, the air is going upward and your belly contracts.
Practice this technique daily for 5-10 minutes to get into the habit of breathing from the belly, not the chest.
This is my personal favourite breathing technique which works wonders on releasing stress, anxiety, increasing your focus, creativity, happiness, and connecting with the power of love.
Gamma breathing shifts your brain into the gamma state. Gamma brainwaves are of the highest frequency in our brain (40-200Hz) and they are much more active in experienced meditators.
The good news is that you can easily shift your brain into this state by using this breathing technique!
Gamma breath consists of 4 cycles of breathing, where you alternate between breathing through your mouth and nose.
|BREATHE IN (3 sec inhale)||BREATHE OUT (3 sec exhale)|
Repeat this sequence at least 3 times and let me know in the comments below the article, what do you think of it.
You can learn more about the power of gamma waves on the Mindvalley blog. (https://blog.mindvalley.com/gamma-brain-waves/).
Alternate nostril breathing
Alternate nostril breathing, also known as nadi shodana, is a purifying breathing technique used to release trapped energy channels in your body and calm the mind.
Nadi shodana will fill your heart centre with oxygen and allow you to experience gentle, cooling sensation throughout your body.
Here’s how to do alternate nostril breathing:
- Sit down with your back straight
- Take your index finger and middle finger of your right hand and fold it towards your palm
- Use the right thumb to close the right nostril and slowly inhale through the left nostril.
- Take a pause after the inhale and seal the left nostril with your ring finger
- Slowly exhale through the right nostril
- Keep your ring finger in the same place and inhale thought the right side
- Seal the right nostril with a thumb and exhale through the left.
- Keep your thumb in the same place and inhale through the left nostril
If you find it confusing, keep in mind that each time you inhale, you're sealing and alternating to the next nostril.
Breath of fire
Breath of fire, also known as Kapalabhati Pranayama, is a powerful detoxifying breathing technique, which involves series of short and powerful nose inhales (exhale is passive).
Breath of fire is very often performed during kundalini yoga exercises.
It will increase the blood flow to your heart centre, detoxify the body and bring more clarity to your mind.
Kapalabhati is an intermediate breathing technique and it is not recommended to people with certain health conditions.
Please consult with a physician, or check with qualified yoga instructor before trying this technique
2. Heart Chakra Affirmations
Try some of these powerful heart chakra affirmations, which can be used throughout the day, or during your meditation to strengthen this energy centre:
- I am worthy of love
- I am open to giving and receiving love
- I love myself unconditionally
- I have the strength to follow my heart
- I am fulfilling my heart’s desire
- I am able to let go of the past to forgive myself and others
- I have the willingness and ability to forgive myself and forgive the others
- I am open with my feelings in all my relationships
- I am grateful for all my blessings
- I am love, I am peace, I am light
3. Heart Chakra Yoga Poses
Yoga is a great way to work with your heart chakra, as certain physical poses (asanas) will allow you to fully open up your chest and shoulders.
Yoga also improves the oxygen circulation in your body, as most of the yoga exercises involve working with your breath (air is the primary element of anahata).
Some of the best yoga poses to open up your heart chakra include:
- Locust Pose (Salabhasana)
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
- Wheel Pose (Urdhva Dhanurasana)
- Upward Plank Pose (Purvottanasana)
- Half Boat Pose (Paripurna Navasana)
- Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana)
4. Heart Chakra Meditation
This wonderful heart chakra meditation will help you to bridge the gap between the mind and the body. During this mediation you will imagine green color, focus on the feelings of love and integrate the breath as a key to your heart centre.
- Sit down with your back straight and relax your body by taking few deep breaths
- Once you are fully relaxed, start visualising yourself surrounded by nature. It might be somewhere deep in the forest, or in a beautiful, green garden
- Spend few minutes there, enjoying the serenity, peace and quietness
- As you go deeper into this meditation, gently shift your attention to your heart chakra and imagine a green circle of energy right in the middle of your chest
- Keep on breathing into our heart centre and inflate this circle with feelings of joy, compassion, kindness and unconditional love
- Enjoy the healing energy which emanates from your heart space
- Stay in this state for at least few minutes to integrate this transformative energy
- Finish your meditation by placing the left hand on your chest, and saying the words: “Thank you, I love you”
- Recognize that ultimately you are the love that you feel.
5. Heart Chakra Stones and Crystals
Crystal and gemstones are very useful for healing your heart chakra.
Some of the best gemstones that will help you to improve your relationships and restore balance in your heart centre are:
Rose Quartz - this powerful, pink crystal vibrates with the energy of unconditional love. Rose Quartz is very often called the ‘Heart Stone’, as it stimulates the loving energy of the heart throughout your entire aura. Rose Quartz is the best crystal for purifying the heart.
Emerald – this beautiful, green gemstone is very often called the “Stone of Successful Love”, as if offers healing energy to your heart chakra and it restores the balance between partners in relationship. Emerald has calming effect on your emotions, and it can be used to heal your heart after the unsuccessful relationship.
Malachite – it is a mesmerizing, green stone of protection, which is known for absorbing negative energies from your aura. Malachite will guide you to develop healthy relationship with yourself and others.
Rhodonite – this beautiful pink stone is also known as the “Stone of Self Love & Unconditional Love”, therefore it is a perfect match for healing your heart chakra. Rhodonite will balance your emotions and protect you from envy or jealousy. It is an excellent gemstone for healing emotional scars after a painful breakup.
You can use any these powerful heart chakra stones and crystals by holding them, wearing them in the form of jewelry or simply having them around your house.
6. Healing Heart Chakra with Food
Physical food for higher chakras has more of a symbolic meaning. Best type of “food” for your heart chakra would be a life filled with joy, purpose, compassion, acceptance and love.
Heart chakra is about eating physical food with an open heart by infusing every meal with love.
Our 3 lower chakras serve following aspects of our body:
- Root chakra looks at the food from the survival point of view
- Sacral chakra is all about pleasure of eating
- Solar plexus chakra deals with transformation of food into energy
Heart chakra act as a bridge between the body (represented by the lower three chakras) and the mind (represented by the 5th, 6th and 7th chakra).
Some of the most important lessons of your heart chakra when it comes to food are:
- Infuse love into your meals by using only the highest quality ingredients (organic, locally grown and sourced)
- Express gratitude for a meal, especially when it is prepared with love
- Share meals with others
- Eat more plant foods and raw fruits and vegetables (for example dark leafy greens)
Some of the of best green foods which resonate with your heart chakra are:
- Fruits – avocadoes, green grapes, kiwis, pears, green apples, honeydew melons
- Vegetables – Dark leafy greens (kale, spinach, arugula), broccoli, celery, bok choy, lettuce, collard greens, cucumbers, Brussels sprouts
- Legumes – Green beans, green peas, edamame
7. Healing Heart Chakra with Essential Oils
Essential oils are great way of working with air element of your heart chakra. They will stimulate your circulatory system, balance the blood pressure and harmonize the rhythm of your heart.
Some of the best essential oils for healing the heart chakra include jasmine, lavender, cypress, sandalwood, orange, tangerine and rose.
What’s the best way of using essential oils for blocked chakra?
One of the best ways of making the most of your essential oil is using diffuser or aroma humidifier which will also create soothing smell in your room and help you to resolve any dry skin issues.
Another great way of using any of the heart chakra essential oils is to apply them directly onto your skin or having a relaxing foot massage.
Heart Chakra Opening Symptoms
Your heart chakra has the power to open itself when you begin to surrender to the power of love.
Lack of judgement towards yourself and the others is one of the main symptoms that your heart is opening. You begin to have compassion towards the others and seek to help them on their journey of awakening.
You are able to let go and forgive, which releases a powerful healing force into your life.
Balanced heart chakra allows other people to feel at peace when they’re around you, because you are full of joy, passion and your heart is filled with love, and faith.
- Davies, B. (2000). The 7 Healing Chakras, Berkeley, CA: Ulysses Press.
- Helbert, K. (2019). The Chakras In Grief and Trauma, London, Singing Dragon.
- Judith, A. (1990). The Truth About Chakras, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Judith, A. (1999). Wheels of Life - A User’s Guide to The Chakra System, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Minich, D.M. (2009). Chakra Foods For Optimum Health, San Francisco, CA: Conari Press.
- Motoyama, H. (1981). Theories of The Chakras, New Delhi: New Age Books.
- Perrakis, A. (2018). The Ultimate Guide To Chakras, Beverly: Fair Winds Press.
- Redmond, L. (2010). Chakra Meditation, CO: Sounds True.
- Simpson, S. (2002). Chakras for Starters, Nevada City, CA: Crystal Clarity Publishers.
- Shola Arewa, C. (2001). Way of The Chakras, London: Thorsons.
- Wauters, A. (1997). Chakras and Their Archetypes, London: Judy Piatkus Publishers Ltd.
OUR BEST SELLERS