The third eye chakra, also known as the “Brow Chakra”, is the 6th energy center from the bottom, located in the middle of your head, between the eyebrows. Healthy third eye chakra vibrates to the color of indigo or royal blue, with light as its dominant element.
Third eye chakra controls your ability to perceive, think creatively, and use your intuition. It also governs your self-awareness, self-realization, imagination, and ability to envision all of your dreams.
Healing and awakening your third eye chakra offers many exciting gifts, such as the ability to manifest material things with the thought alone or better potential for astral projection and lucid dreaming.
Unblocking your third eye chakra will allow you to discover the reality which lies beyond the physical world and past the realm of your five senses.
Healing and opening the third eye chakra is a beautiful process, as it allows you to finally take full command of your reality and clarify your inner vision.
Eventually, you will be able to manifest anything you desire into your life easily and effortlessly by using the power of your mind and becoming a visionary.
In this article, we are going to have a look at some of the tools and techniques you can use to unblock and open your third eye chakra.
DOWNLOAD & PRINT IT FOR YOURSELF
1. Third Eye Chakra Meditation
Meditation is probably one of the best ways of awakening your third eye chakra as it helps to create better coherence between both of your brain hemispheres. Meditation, when done correctly, will give your thinking mind a break and shift your brainwaves from beta to alpha state.
As a result, you will begin to think for yourself, trust your intuition with more certainty and look for answers to your problems within yourself. When you commit to regular meditation practice of your choice, you will be more connected to your inner guidance system and discover your deepest wisdom.
There are many meditation techniques I personally tried. However, in this article, I am going to give you only 1, which is super simple and very powerful for opening your third eye. This method is known as concentration mediation, and it is described in Osho’s “The Secret of The Golden Flower” book.
Here’s how to do it, according to Master Lu-tsu teaching:
Sit down (or lay down) quietly in any comfortable position of your choice, and for 15 minutes, concentrate all of your awareness on your third eye center (the area between your eyebrows).
You can do it with your eyes closed or open, whichever way works better for you. You can visualize a third eye chakra lotus symbol, a sphere of indigo light, or simply focus on the space itself. To see the results of this practice, you have to commit to 15 minutes of daily practice.
Why is this simple meditation so powerful for the third eye?
The Taoists believe that when your attention flows outward, you are always spending your energy, and as a result, you become more and more empty inside.
When you focus all of your attention and awareness on your third eye center, all of your consciousness is flowing inward, and you can move the energy (light) in a circle.
The light is supposed to flow in both directions at the same time so that you don’t become depleted and turn into a ‘black hole’.
2. Open Your Third Eye With Breathing
There are many different types of breathing techniques described in more detail on this blog (you can check them out in my Heart Chakra Healing Guide article).
Certain breathing techniques are beneficial for all of the higher chakras because they assist with moving the kundalini (life force) energy from lower chakras to the upper ones. When it comes to the most useful breathing techniques for healing your third eye, these are my top recommendations:
2a. Alternate Nostril Breathing (Nadi Shodana)
This purifying breathing technique works really well for your third eye chakra as it directly activates your Ida and Pingala (subtle energy channels which merge in your head). Alternate nostril breathing can be used to release trapped energy from your lower chakras and calm the mind. Nadi shodana will allow you to experience gentle, cooling sensations throughout your body.
2b. Breath of Fire (Kapalabhati Pranayama)
This is a powerful, detoxifying breathing technique, which involves a series of short and powerful nose inhales (exhale is passive). Breath of fire is very often performed during kundalini yoga exercises. It will increase the blood flow to your head, detoxify the body, and bring more clarity to your mind.
2c. DMT Activating Breathing Techniques
These methods are sometimes performed during kundalini yoga exercises or extended breathing sessions, where you combine hyperventilation techniques with breath retention techniques.
One of the most popular DMT-type of breathing techniques nowadays is the Wim Hof breathing method. It involves a few series of deep inhales and exhales (30 rounds of hyperventilation) with 30-90 seconds (or longer) of breath retention periods.
Some of the DMT breathing techniques involve squeezing the muscles of the perineum during the breath retention phase and pushing the energy from the lower chakras all the way up to your third eye center.
If you are interested in learning some of the more advanced DMT breathing techniques, make sure you consult with an expert in that field because they can produce altered states of consciousness!
2d. Gamma Breathing
This technique consists of 4 cycles of breathing, where you alternate between breathing through your mouth and nose. Gamma breathing shifts your brain into the gamma state.
Gamma brainwaves are of the highest frequency in our brain (40-200Hz), and they are much more active in experienced meditators. This breathing is super easy and very effective in achieving the ultimate brain coherence, which is highly beneficial for healing your third eye chakra.
3. Third Eye Chakra Affirmations
Third eye chakra is very responsive to affirmations because they directly affect your subconscious mind and allow you to see the power of your own thoughts.
Try some of these powerful third eye chakra affirmations, which can be used throughout the day, or during your meditation to strengthen this energy center:
- I am insightful and intuitive.
- I see clearly.
- I think clearly.
- I always honor and follow my intuition.
- I am a conscious creator of my own reality.
- I am connected to my higher self.
- All that I need is within me.
- I quiet my mind with ease to hear the whispers of intuition.
- I am aware of my dreams, and they guide me.
- I trust my decisions.
- I am open to the ideas and perspectives of others
- I nurture my spirit.
- I am constantly expanding my awareness.
- I am introspective and evaluate myself honestly
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRA AFFIRMATION POSTER TODAY!
4. Third Eye Chakra Yoga Poses
Yoga is a great way to work with your third eye chakra, as certain physical poses (asanas) will allow you to improve the flow of energy in your body and allow you to put some pressure on your forehead area.
Yoga also improves the oxygen circulation to your brain, as most of the yoga exercises involve working with your breath. Some of the best yoga poses to open up your third eye chakra include:
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Childs pose (Balasana)
- Extended Puppy pose (Uttana Shishosana)
- Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana)
- Knees To Chest pose (Apanasana)
- Legs Up The Wall pose (Viparita Karani)
- Headstand (Sirsasana)
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRAS YOGA POSTER TODAY!
5. Lucid Dreaming
You might be thinking, what’s the relationship between lucid dreaming and third eye chakra?
Third eye chakra is directly linked with your pineal gland, which regulates your circadian rhythm, melatonin production, and many other important bio-rhythms in your body. This gland also has light photoreceptors, just like your eyes (third eye chakra primary element is light).
Activation of your pineal gland is one of the keys to unlocking your creative imagination and being able to enjoy the world of lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is a practice that allows you to become conscious of your dreams.
Many people who decided to become awake in their dreams believe that dreams can help you to find who you really are and what your life purpose is.
If you are interested in the topic of lucid dreaming, I am going to give you some valuable tips on how to get started as I have done extensive research in the past:
- Spend lots of time daily reading about lucid dreaming. New information will prime your subconscious mind and prepare it for a new, exciting experience.
- Start a ‘Dream Journal’ and put it next to your bed. Work on improving your dream recall by writing details of every single dream you had.
- Perform lots of “reality checks” during the day by saying the words “Am I dreaming?” and always aim to justify your answer.
- Avoid blue light and bright artificial light 1 hour before your bedtime.
- Set up a firm intention that you will lucid dream and remember your dreams right before you fall asleep.
- Check out Stephen LaBerge, Clare Johnson, Robert Waggoner and Michael Raduga materials (books and videos) about lucid dreaming.
- There are lots of generic lucid dreaming videos on YouTube, but I found most of them to be very vague and unclear.
6. Third Eye Chakra Stones & Crystals
Primary color of third eye chakra is indigo, which is a combination of blue and violet. Majority of 6th chakra stones are either dark blue, or violet.
You can learn more about third eye chakra gemstones here.
Now, let's a have a look at some of the best stones to balance your third eye chakra.
- Typical colors: pale violet, deep purple, purple-black.
- Helps with: meditation, spiritual awareness, intuition, mental clarity, stress and anxiety, focus, creativity, psychic abilities.
This translucent, purple gemstone is excellent for the third eye chakra. Amethyst will relax your mind and lift your spirit. It is a perfect stone for improving your dream recall, lucid dreaming, and astral projection. Amethyst is also a powerful protection stone.
- Typical colors: indigo, blue, green-blue, violet-blue.
- Helps with: meditation, spiritual awareness, intuition, psychic abilities, lucid dreaming, astral projection, stress and anxiety, luck.
It is a protective stone that can help you to contact your Spirit Guides and open your third eye. It recognizes psychic blocks and returns the energy to its source. It is a powerful cleanser of energetic blockages. Lapis Lazuli will open your psychic abilities, improve your dream recall and guide you on your spiritual journey.
- Typical colors: blue, dark blue, purple, pink, yellow, orange, and green.
- Helps with: meditation, self-realization, spiritual awareness, intuition, mental clarity, decision-making, self-expression, wealth, and prosperity.
This heavenly blue gemstone is considered to be a stone of wisdom and psychic activation. Dark blue sapphire will allow you to access deeper levels of consciousness and stay on your spiritual path. It will increase your intuition, awareness, mental clarity and restore the energetic balance in your third eye chakra.
- Typical colors: blue with white veins.
- Helps with: mental clarity, meditation, self-expression, communication, self-awareness, emotional balance, psychic abilities, good luck, and wealth.
Sodalite assists you in determining your life purpose and direction in life. It serves as a guide on your personal journey, allowing you to become absorbed in the experience of spiritual development.
Sodalite is a gemstone that integrates logic and intuition. It stimulates the pineal gland and the third eye, which helps in deep meditation.
- Typical colors: colorless, light blue, white-gray, blue-gray, violet, light pink, reddish, brownish.
- Helps with: spiritual awareness, psychic abilities, astral projection, stress and anxiety, clairvoyance, telepathy.
Angelite's light blue colors are very soothing and comforting. They radiate angelic energy that will fill you with deep joy. It has a gentle yet strong healing force that can help you to feel relaxed.
Angelite is an excellent stone for cultivating your spiritual practice, which is something that many people struggle with, in today's world. It is a stone that enables divine contact with angels, guides, and your higher-self.
DOWNLOAD & PRINT IT YOURSELF
7. Third Eye Chakra Food
Third eye chakra gives you the ability to open your awareness and tap into your culinary intuition. Some of the most important lessons of your third eye chakra when it comes to food are:
- Follow your intuition when you experience cravings for certain types of food. Try to ask your body what it really needs.
- Don't overthink your food choices. Balanced third eye chakra will allow you to pick an item from a restaurant menu with ease.
- Recognize your food addictions and their connection to your subconscious mind.
- Avoid drinking bad quality water.
- Avoid excessive caffeine (and other stimulants) consumption.
- Avoid excessive alcohol and drug consumption.
- Eat foods which are proven to enhance your brain performance, such as walnuts, brazil nuts, spices, blueberries, avocadoes, broccoli, leafy greens, fish, dark chocolate.
Some of the best purple foods which resonate with your third eye chakra are:
Blueberries, blackberries, purple grapes, purple cabbage, black currants, figs, plums, purple-fleshed potatoes, and any other purple-colored foods.
Third Eye Chakra Opening Symptoms
One of the main symptoms of your third eye chakra opening is increased self-awareness. Your intuition level will sharpen, and you will gradually begin to notice more synchronicities, coincidences, and warning signals in your life.
When your third eye begins to open, you will also feel other people’s moods from the distance. At the same time, you stop judging others because you realize that 'we are all One', and the external world is your mirror. Your creative visualization skills begin to improve, so it becomes easier and easier for you to manifest your desired future.
With your third eye opening, you will also experience enhanced sensitivity to light and sound in your waking life and your dreams. Everything will become more vivid, and you begin to see yourself in a different light.
The opening of your third is a beautiful process that will allow you to discover unlimited possibilities beyond your imagination. Once your third eye is fully opened, and if it is used correctly, there will be no limit on what u can achieve with that gift.