Before I started working on my sacral chakra, I was really struggling to execute all of my creative ideas, and I was unable to go with the flow of life.
If you find yourself being unable to express yourself and to be in tune with your emotions, it might be a good time to have a closer look at your sacral chakra balance.
As you explore the powerful and creative force of your own sacral chakra, you will encounter movement and experience the duality of life.
In this article, we are going to go on a deep, emotional journey into the world of polarity, emotions, and sexuality, which are the driving forces of your second chakra!
1. What Is The Sacral Chakra?
2. Sacral Chakra Location | Where Is The Sacral Chakra?
3. Sacral Chakra Function | What Is The Main Function of Sacral Chakra?
4. Sacral Chakra Symbol Meaning
5. What Does The Sacral Chakra Represent?
6. Sacral Chakra Color Meaning | Why Is The Sacral Chakra Orange?
7. Sacral Chakra Imbalance
8. What Are The Main Signs Of Imbalanced Sacral Chakra?
9. Overactive Sacral Chakra
10. Underactive Sacral Chakra
11. How Do I Balance And Heal My Sacral Chakra?
- Healing Sacral Chakra with Self-Nurturance
- Healing Sacral Chakra with Creative & Playful Activities
- Sacral Chakra Meditation
- Sacral Chakra Affirmations
- Sacral Chakra Yoga Poses
- Sacral Chakra Stones
- Healing Sacral Chakra with Tantra
- Healing Sacral Chakra with Essential Oils
- Which Foods Are Good For Sacral Chakra?
What Is The Sacral Chakra?
The sacral chakra is the second chakra from the bottom, situated about 2 inches below the navel in the region of the lower abdomen.
Healthy sacral chakra vibrates to the color of orange, with water as its dominant element and its eternal state of movement.
The Sanskrit name for the second chakra is Svadhisthana, which translates into “sweetness”. When you look through the lens of this chakra, you will see the opportunities to experience the sweetness and joy of life.
The trick is not to focus yourself purely on the pursuit of pleasure but to become fully conscious and present during every single, joyful experience.
Sacral Chakra Location
In the body, the second chakra is located 3-5 centimeters (1.5-2 inches) below the navel, and it is usually perceived as a disc of vermillion light.
The location of your sacral chakra can be linked with a nerve plexus called sacral plexus, which is responsible for the movement of our pelvis and lower limb muscles.
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRA AFFIRMATION POSTER TODAY!
DOWNLOAD & PRINT IT FOR YOURSELF
Sacral Chakra Function
The sacral chakra is responsible for a healthy flow of your emotions and it deals with your ability to relate to yourself, and to others.
It is the main center of your creativity and emotional intelligence, however, the main aspect of the second chakra is sexuality. Sexual energy is one of the most powerful energies you have in your body.
With a balanced sacral chakra, you can allow yourself to take delight in the pleasure of sex as an integrated aspect of life, and see intimacy as a form of communication.
Sexuality is your life force and the sacred union between people.
So what does the sacral chakra govern?
Physically, sacral chakra governs the entire pelvic region, and it is responsible for the hydration of every cell in your body.
Healthy functioning second chakra will enhance your body’s ability to remove all the toxins through the skin, urine, and lymphatic system.
Want to know the best part?
The bone at the back of your pelvis is called the sacrum, and it was previously known as a ‘holy bone’. Just like the hub in the wheel, the sacrum is located exactly in the center of our body.
The ancients knew that the sacrum was the last bone to decay after our death, and because of that, they believed it is necessary for resurrection.
Sacral Chakra Symbol Meaning
The symbol of sacral chakra can be described as an orange lotus flower with six, vermilion-colored petals, which holds a circle and crescent moon inside of it.
The seed mantra in the center of the sacral chakra symbol is a syllable व VAM. There is a dot right above the seed mantra symbol, which represents the Hindu deity Vishnu.
The second chakra symbol has a moon in its center with water as its ruling element. Just as the 28-day moon cycle affects the waters in the sea by creating a magnetic pull, it also affects your body. For women, this repeatedly occurs with the 28-day menstrual cycle.
But there’s one more element often depicted in the Tantric symbol of Svadhisthana:
Inside the crescent moon hides an alligator-like, water creature called Makara.
Makara has a long tail, which symbolizes the coil of Kundalini, and it is a representation of your deep desires and unconscious, animal instincts.
What Does The Sacral Chakra Represent?
Consciousness in the second chakra represents the relationship and unification of universal polarities:
- Ying & Yang
- Male & Female
- Sun & Moon
In sacral chakra, duality is the motivating force for change, because polarities, by their mutual attraction, create movement and work together.
Encountering other people in your life creates a desire inside your body to reach out to them and move in their direction, in order to grow and change.
Change and movement are the basis of sacral chakra purpose - it is a complete opposite of the root chakra grounded stillness.
What’s the bottom line?
Motion is an essential part of all energy, matter, and consciousness. Without it the universe becomes static. We are all part of this constant process of movement in the Universe.
Sacral Chakra Color Meaning
Orange ray, that radiates from sacral chakra has an optimistic, uplifting and warm glow giving you the freedom to be yourself.
Orange is a color that can both excite or calm, and it combines the physical energy of red with the joy and happiness of yellow. Orange is the color of creativity, success and it can be associated with joy and ecstasy.
What’s the bottom line?
If you balance your sacral energy, you will have lots of orange glow in your aura and people will naturally gravitate towards you!
Sacral Chakra Imbalance
One of the main reasons for your sacral chakra imbalance is the trauma encountered as a child at the time of the second chakra development.
During that time, you form your emotional identity by mirroring your parents and caretakers.
This emotional identity allows you to describe various emotional states later in life, so you can move away from that which is painful and move in the direction of pleasure.
Here’s why this so important:
All of your emotions are inherently linked with the movement, and when your sacral chakra is unbalanced, you will tend to repress your emotions by restricting movement.
It is important to realize that we all unconsciously carry wounds from our childhood experiences into adulthood.
How can this help you heal your sacral chakra?
It actually takes a lot of energy to suppress your emotions and feelings. As you are working with your second chakra, be aware that releasing all of your emotions will help you to let go of tension and trauma.
The absence of tension will allow you to tap into the flow state and create the desired change, which is the essence of the sacral chakra.
What Are The Main Signs of Imbalanced Sacral Chakra?
When your second chakra is out of balance, you will feel emotionally out of balance. You will be either overly ruled by your own emotions and feelings or feel empty and dull inside.
Take a moment and read through some of the questions below. It will help you to determine whether your sacral chakra is out of balance:
- Are you unable to fully express your emotions?
- Do you find it difficult to recover from the end of an intimate relationship or find yourself in meaningless sexual encounters with fear of commitment to anyone?
- Do you feel that you have a fear of success and an inability to execute on all of your creative potentials?
- Are you unable to move forward in your life because of a traumatic event that happened to you in the past?
- Do you feel that you have too many creative ideas and an endless to-do-list but always feel a sense of incompleteness?
- Do you suffer from colon, kidneys, ovaries, and uterus health issues?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, it might be a good time to look into restoring the balance and flow of that energy center.
Overactive Sacral Chakra
Some of the main signs of your sacral chakra being overactive are:
Unbalanced expression of pleasure – when your second chakra is too open, search for pleasure never ends with a sense of fulfillment, and you end up losing yourself in many stimulating activities (excessive eating, sex, drugs, and alcohol).
Frequent emotional drama – people with overactive sacral chakras tend to feel everyone else’s emotions and get involved in many dramatic relationships.
Lack of focus – when your sacral chakra is spinning too fast, you will be able to give birth to a multitude of creative ideas, but you won’t follow through with any of them to completion.
Aggressiveness and explosiveness – these are some of the most extreme behaviors linked with the overactive sacral chakra.
Addictive behaviors – sexual addiction or food addiction are some of the major indicators of the overactive second chakra.
- Seeking attention – a desire to be acknowledged comes from a deep fear of never being able to give enough. Many people use a sexual encounter as a way of getting attention.
OUR BEST SELLERS
Underactive Sacral Chakra
Some of the main signs of your sacral chakra being underactive are:
Lack of desire – when your sacral chakra is blocked, you might lose interest in sexual intimacy and suffer from loss of libido. This can be directly linked to childhood trauma, especially if you feel some level of disgust and frustration when it comes to your sexuality.
Lack of creativity – this is a major signal of the underactive second chakra, which is your main center of creativity. If you find yourself living your life on autopilot, without any desire to try new things, your sacral chakra might be blocked.
Insecurity and Anxiety – social anxiety will affect your ability to communicate and relate to other human beings. When the sacral chakra is underactive, you will very often feel inadequate and uncomfortable in social situations.
- Lifeless and passive – this can be expressed when you lack the ability to play and lose yourself spontaneously in the wonders of life.
How Do I Balance and Heal My Sacral Chakra?
Cultivating a balanced sacral chakra requires you to awaken all of your feelings to the beauty of life with a sense of deep satisfaction.
When the energy of your second chakra flows freely through your pelvis, you will be able to maintain a positive self-image and always feel good about yourself.
So what are the most important elements of 2nd chakra healing?
Sacral chakra healing journey involves developing a healthy relationship with how you experience pleasure in your life - it is essential for the health of your body and spirit.
Unfortunately, modern society conditioned many of us to beware of pleasure and taught us to repress our natural bodily impulses.
Unblocking your sacral chakra also involves movement and exercises to stimulate the energy moving through this area.
Repressed emotions and feelings are very often trapped inside your body.
Exercise is one of the best ways of releasing and letting go of them.
Let’s take a look at some of my favorite healing methods and practices that I personally tried to restore the balance of my sacral chakra:
1. Healing Sacral Chakra with Self-Nurturance
Simple self-nurturing activities such as taking a hot bath with your favorite music, eating your favorite food, or getting a massage are a great starting point in your second chakra healing process.
Nurturance is a fundamental need of your body, mind, and soul.
Get creative and think about something you really enjoy doing, and reach out for this experience of pleasure with full awareness and without any sense of guilt.
Get past your judgments, slow down the process, and get fully into this experience. At the end of this experiment, ask yourself a couple of questions:
- Where in your body did you experience most pleasure?
- How did you feel?
- Can you describe all sensations and feelings?
2. Healing Sacral Chakra with Creative & Playful Activities
Creative and playful activities promote healthy social and emotional development. Without them, life becomes monotonous, and they are very often overlooked as we grow up.
Consider getting yourself a spiral notebook or diary and start writing your feelings and thoughts for a minimum of 5 minutes every day.
Journaling is a great way of clearing your mind and releasing all of your thoughts, emotions, and feelings - it will make you feel lighter.
Another great way of healing your sacral chakra through playful activities is trying out something new, which involves physical movement:
- Go dancing this weekend or sign up for a dance class
- Try out your local gym, yoga studio, or crossfit class
- Go for a hike or bike ride in nature
- Talk to that person you never talked before
Be spontaneous and use your imagination to come up with some playful activities that you always wanted to do, but you have been postponing them for a long time.
3. Sacral Chakra Meditation
One of my favorite sacral chakra meditation techniques is water meditation. This meditation is very similar to any other traditional meditation practice. The only difference is that you will add a water element into your practice.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Before you start your water meditation practice, pour yourself a large glass of water.
- Sit down in a lotus pose with your spine straight, relax your body, and take a few deep breaths.
- Start drinking your water slowly.
- Concentrate on the feeling of water pouring down through your entire body and feel the coolness of it.
- As you get deeper into this meditation, shift your focus to your sacral chakra and imagine an orange, translucent light in this area.
- Visualize it expanding and filling up your entire pelvis with an orange glow.
- Be aware of the balance it brings into your life and take as long as you need to integrate this beautiful energy.
- When you are ready, gently allow your sacral chakra to close and open your eyes.
You can finish your water meditation with this affirmation:
“I flow with the natural harmony of the universe and allow myself to accept all the good things it has to offer”
4. Sacral Chakra Affirmations
Here are some of the most powerful sacral chakra affirmations which you can use during your meditation to help you restore balance in this energy center:
- I am passionate about my life.
- I am a sensual and creative being.
- I am in touch with my feelings and emotions.
- The universe is full of sweetness and beauty.
- I receive pleasure and abundance with every breath I take.
- I give myself full permission to enjoy all pleasures of life.
- I give myself full permission to fully enjoy my sexuality.
- Rest and play are a regular part of my life.
- I am joyful. I am spontaneous. I am creative.
- I trust my intuition and allow it to guide me.
- As I love and respect myself, healing happens naturally.
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRA AFFIRMATION POSTER TODAY!
5. Sacral Chakra Yoga Poses
Balancing sacral chakra with yoga exercises involves building strength and flexibility in your hips and all the muscles surrounding your pelvis. Some of the best yoga poses for second chakra are:
- Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
- Goddess Pose (Utkata Konasana)
- Squat Pose (Malasana)
- Child’s Pose (Balasana)
- Pigeon Pose (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana)
- Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
- Locust Pose (Salabhasana)
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRAS YOGA POSTER TODAY!
6. Sacral Chakra Stones
Just like every other chakra, Svadhisthana can be balanced with specific stones and crystals.
What crystals and stones are good for sacral chakra?
Some of the best gemstones that will help you to heal sacral chakra include orange carnelian, golden topaz, golden tiger’s eye, and gold citrine.
You can use any of these powerful sacral chakra stones and crystals by holding them, wearing them in the form of jewelry, or simply having them around your house.
Orange Carnelian – this beautiful stone is believed to reduce apathy and lift your spirit by bringing you more joy, pleasure, and helping you to cheer up all the people around you. Carnelian will also help you to overcome some of your biggest fears by helping you to become more courageous and decisive. Orange carnelian is a good stimulant for the air circulation in your body, which can help you to improve the flow of energy and encourage better oxygenation of all body cells.
Golden Topaz – this stunning yellow stone will help you to balance your emotions and increase your creativity (great gemstone for artists and musicians). It is an excellent crystal to boost your confidence, reduce fear, anger, and anxiety. Physically, it is believed to improve your digestion and metabolism.
Golden Tiger’s Eye – tiger’s eye is one of the best stones to balance the feminine and masculine energies within you and unlock your creative forces. Shiny fibers of this gemstone will increase your happiness and success, allowing you to better connect to the present moment and enjoy simple things in life. Physically, it can help you to slow down your metabolism and improve your digestion.
- Gold Citrine – it is a crystal of success and happiness that will help you to live your life with more enthusiasm. It is believed to bring more confidence, clarity, and meaning into your life. It can also help you to be more flexible in life, follow your intuition and let go of the past that no longer serves you.
GET YOUR COLORFUL CHAKRA STONES CHART TODAY!
7. Healing Sacral Chakra with Tantra
Contrary to many contemporary beliefs, Tantra is actually not all about sex. Tantra is the sacred dance of reuniting duality, and it is mostly about the spiritual connection between you and your partner.
The passage of energy between the couple engaged in an intimate relationship can have powerful healing properties and allow you to restore the balance in your sacral chakra.
Since the sacral chakra is your center of sexuality, through the intensity of sexual excitement, every chakra in your body will vibrate with higher intensity.
If you haven’t heard anything about Tantra yet, I encourage you to look into this ancient practice – the entire chakra system originates from Tantric philosophy.
Tantra will help you to understand yourself and reach a higher state of consciousness.
8. Healing Sacral Chakra with Essential Oils
Aromatherapy and essential oils with earthy aroma can be a great way of restoring the balance within your blocked sacral chakra.
Some of the best essential oils for healing the sacral chakra include sandalwood, cardamom, jasmine, cinnamon bark, and sage.
What’s the best way of using essential oils for blocked chakra?
One of the best ways of making the most of your essential oil is using a diffuser or aroma humidifier, which will also create a soothing smell in your room and help you to resolve any dry skin issues.
Another great way of using any of the sacral chakra essential oils is to apply them directly onto your skin and having a relaxing foot massage.
9. Which Foods Are Good For Sacral Chakra?
Healthy sacral chakra vibrates at a frequency similar to the orange color, so eating orange-colored foods such as oranges, carrots, mangoes, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, apricots, and cantaloupe will help you to restore the balance in your second chakra.
The second group of foods that can help you with working on your blocked sacral chakra are foods with high water content – make sure your diet is abundant in fresh, organic fruits and vegetables.
But there is something even more important for a healthy balance in 2nd chakra:
Types of food that we eat are not as important for your sacral chakra as your emotional relationship with the food. Use creativity when you prepare your meals and aim for a pleasurable experience with a variety of flavors when eating your favorite foods.
Let me share a few extra things that I learned about food when I was working with my second chakra:
- Pay attention to all of your senses during a meal.
- Unfortunately, due to our busy lifestyle, most people rush through their meals. Try to eat your meals slowly and enjoy every single bite.
- Involve your friends and family in the process of meal creation.
- You might have heard it when you were younger: “Do not play with your food!”. Completely ignore this advice and do the exact opposite: play as much as you want with food on your plate!
- Always give gratitude for a meal.
- Take notes and observe your food cravings – they are all tied to your emotions, and they all have different meanings.
- Judith, A. (1990). The Truth About Chakras, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Judith, A. (1999). Wheels of Life - A User’s Guide to The Chakra System, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Minich, D.M. (2009). Chakra Foods For Optimum Health, San Francisco, CA: Conari Press.
- Simpson, S. (2002). Chakras for Starters, Nevada City, CA: Crystal Clarity Publishers.
- Shola Arewa, C. (2001). Way of The Chakras, London: Thorsons.
- Davies, B. (2000). The 7 Healing Chakras, Berkeley, CA: Ulysses Press.
- Vollmar, K. (1987). Journey through the Chakras, Wellow, Bath: Gateway Books.
- Motoyama, H. (1981). Theories of The Chakras, New Delhi: New Age Books.
Would you like to take your chakra healing knowledge to the next level and learn more from some of these wonderful authors?
We have created a comprehensive list of Top 10 Chakra Healing Books Available To Buy Right Now.
7 Chakras Healing Guides
If you enjoyed this article and would like to learn how balance and heal your other chakras, feel free to check out some of our other chakra healing guides:
- Root Chakra Healing Guide | Muladhara Chakra | 1st Chakra
- Solar Plexus Chakra Healing Guide | Manipura Chakra | 3rd Chakra
- Heart Chakra Healing Guide | Anahata Chakra | 4th Chakra
- Throat Chakra Healing Guide | Vishuddha Chakra | 5th Chakra
- Third Eye Chakra Healing Guide | Ajna Chakra | 6th Chakra
- Crown Chakra Healing Guide | Sahasrara Chakra | 7th Chakra