It is said that the third eye chakra connects you with the ability to see that which is unseen.
Here you can revisit some of your childhood dreams, imagine new possibilities, dream big, and ultimately discover your life purpose. There is a spiritual fountain of wisdom waiting to be discovered at your 6th chakra.
In this article, l am going to explain to you everything you need to know about the mysterious third eye chakra, its function, and importance to your spiritual awakening.
I will then show you how to determine whether your third eye center is blocked and give you some of the best awakening methods for your sixth chakra.
Some of the healing methods included in this post helped me to increase my intuition levels, improved my visualization skills, and allowed me to pay more attention to my dreams.
Healing and opening the third eye chakra is a beautiful process, as it allows you to finally take full command of your reality and clarify your inner vision. Eventually, you will be able to manifest anything you desire into your life easily and effortlessly by using the power of your own mind and becoming a visionary.
Let’s dive right in!
1. What Is The Third Eye Chakra?
2. What Is The Function of Third Eye Chakra?
3. Third Eye Chakra Symbol Meaning | What Does The Third Eye Chakra Symbol Represent?
4. Third Eye Chakra Color Meaning
5. Third Eye Chakra Blockage
6. Third Eye Awakening & Healing
- Third Eye Chakra Meditation
- Open Your Third Eye With Breathing
- Third Eye Chakra Affirmations
- Third Eye Chakra Yoga Poses
- Opening Third Eye Through Lucid Dreaming
- Third Eye Chakra Stones & Crystals
- Healing Third Eye Chakra with Food
- Healing Third Eye Chakra with Essential Oils
7. Third Eye Chakra Opening Symptoms
What Is The Third Eye Chakra?
Third eye chakra, also known as the “Brow Chakra”, is the 6th energy center from the bottom, located in the middle of your head, between the eyebrows. Healthy third eye chakra vibrates to the color of indigo or royal blue, with light as its dominant element.
The Sanskrit name for a Third Eye Chakra is ‘Ajna’, which means “to perceive” or “to command”, as activating it will allow you to finally take command of your life and get full access to your internal guidance system.
Working with your third eye chakra by cultivating a strong and independent mind will allow you to discover the reality which lies beyond the physical world and past the realm of your five senses.
Healing and awakening your third eye chakra offers many exciting gifts, such as the ability to manifest material things with the thought alone or the opportunity to return to the magic of childhood.
What Is The Function of Third Eye Chakra?
Third eye chakra controls your ability to perceive, think creatively, and use your intuition. It also governs your self-awareness, self-realization, imagination, and ability to envision all of your dreams.
People with highly developed third eye centers established a close connection with their astral bodies, and they have a better capacity for astral projection and lucid dreaming.
When you open your third eye chakra, you will be able to finally transcend duality and polarity. Third eye chakra is the seat of the sixth sense as it allows you to see the world through the eye of intuition, and it helps you to clarify your inner vision.
The process of visualizing your reality by imagining possibilities is an essential element of a fulfilled life, so the 'brow chakra' is also considered to be your primary manifestation center.
How does third eye chakra help us to see reality?
It is important to realize that we don’t see the reality through our eyes, but our minds. People who opened and activated their third eye chakras can utilize the power of the mind to transform their lives.
When both hemispheres of your brain are working in perfect harmony, you begin to awaken your intuitive skills, such as clairvoyance and clairaudience, see the patterns and develop a clear vision of how to consciously create a purposeful life.
Third Eye Chakra Symbol Meaning
The third eye chakra symbol is an indigo blue lotus with 2 petals. In the center of the lotus, there is a downward-facing triangle representing enlightenment and your connection to the divine with a syllable OM ॐ, known as third eye chakra bija mantra (or seed mantra).
The OM is considered to be the world's fundamental sound, which includes all the other sounds. It is also a sacred spiritual symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism, where it is regarded as the Universe's supreme sound and a representation of the Creator.
Why does the third eye chakra symbol has only 2 petals?
Two petals of Ajna chakra are meant to represent Ida and Pingala – 2 most important, subtle energy channels (known as “nadis” in Sanskrit), which travel all the way up from root chakra to your head and meet with Sushumna nadi. Sushumna is a central nadi which connects all of your chakras along the spine and guides your kundalini energy up towards your crown chakra.
Sometimes left petal of the third eye chakra symbol has a syllable HAM हं written on it, which represents Shiva (symbol of masculine principle), and the right petal is decorated with syllable KSHAM क्षं, which is associated with Shakti (feminine principle).
Two petals of the Ajna chakra symbol can be also interpreted as physical eyes, the manifest and unmanifest mind, or pineal and pituitary glands.
Third Eye Chakra Color Meaning
The main color of the third eye chakra is indigo, also known as royal blue. The third eye chakra can also be depicted with a deep blue color.
Indigo is a combination of blue and violet. The violet in indigo contributes to awareness, spirituality, wisdom, and connection with the higher self, while blue assists with communication, creativity, purification, and authenticity.
Indigo is considered to be a color of integrity, harmony, deep inner awareness, and wisdom. People who emit lots of indigo from their auric field tend to possess natural psychic gifts, experience vivid lucid dreams, and sense things before they happen.
According to psychologists, indigo color influences you by putting your mind in a concentrated and focused state. This is perfect if you want to stay focused, meditate, or you are trying to increase your awareness and insight. Working with indigo allows you to sharpen your mind and to increase emphasis on spiritual issues.
CHAKRA WALL ART & HOME DECOR
Third Eye Chakra Blockage
Third eye chakra blockage or imbalance symptoms can be recognized in over-intellectualization, over-rationalization, lack of trust in your own insights, and not being able to “think outside of the box”.
The archetype of the person with an underactive third eye chakra is known as the ‘The Intellectual’. Intellectual relies purely on the finite resources of the logical and analytical mind without taking into consideration the emotional and spiritual facets of existence.
The Intellectual is usually full of anxiety, tension, and worry due to an over-stimulated mind. This archetype intellectualizes and theorizes his way through life, never trusting his feelings, emotions, and inner guidance.
When your third eye chakra is overactive, you might experience symptoms of losing contact with reality (normally through hallucinations and imagining things that don’t exist), psychic disorders, and complete lack of mental clarity sometimes expressed as ‘brain fog’.
So, how do you know if your third eye is blocked?
If you think your third eye chakra is out of balance, ask yourself these 2 questions:
- Do you tend to give your dream and fantasy life excessive freedom to wander wherever it might want to?
- Are your decisions being directed mostly from the place of logic and rational mind, not allowing your imagination and intuition a chance for expression?
If you answered yes to the first question, your third eye chakra is most likely overactive.
If you answered yes to the second question, you are on the side of ‘The Intellectual’ archetype, with underactive third eye chakra.
Third Eye Awakening and Healing
Third eye chakra healing starts with restoring the balance between the left and right side of the brain.
When your third eye chakra starts to awaken, and you begin to open your third eye, both of your brain hemispheres go into full coherence.
Let’s have a quick look at the differences between both sides of your brain.
The left side of the brain is responsible for:
- Analytical thoughts
- Science & Math
- Language and speech
Normally, 'left-brained' people tend to have underactive third-eye chakra
The right side of the brain takes care of:
- Arts and music
These are actually attributes of the third eye chakra, and people who are 'right-brained' should have fewer difficulties when it comes to awakening this center.
However, to fully activate and awaken your third eye center, you have to utilize the power of your entire brain. Your ability to be insightful and creative is as important as being able to think clearly.
People with highly developed third eye chakras have the gift of inner sight (clairvoyance) and live from a place of deep trust.
Elders in traditional, tribal communities are the best representation of the healthy third eye chakra archetype as they have gathered lots of wisdom throughout their lives.
7 CHAKRAS FACE PROTECTION
How Do I Open My Third Eye Chakra?
One of the first things you can do when working with your third eye chakra is to commit to the path of expanding your awareness to actualize the higher mind.
Your ultimate goal is to cultivate the functional archetype of ‘The (Wise) Intuitive’. The Intuitive can be best described as a person who found the connection between the intellect and feelings.
So, are you willing to open yourself up to new possibilities beyond the limits of your mind?
Here are a few key things to keep in mind before we get into specific methods of unlocking your third eye center:
- Your third eye chakra will open when you begin to trust your intuition.
- Aim to live from the place of trust - you will always receive inner guidance, even if your circumstances are difficult at the moment.
- Trust requires patience and faith.
- Use your most precious gifts to serve others and offer them guidance.
- Pay closer attention to your dreams.
- Don’t be afraid of trying new things in life.
- Always honor and love yourself.
Let’s have a look at some of the best methods I have personally tried to develop my intuitive skills and awaken my third eye chakra:
1. Third Eye Chakra Meditation
Meditation is probably one of the best ways of awakening your third eye chakra as it helps to create better coherence between both of your brain hemispheres. Meditation, when done correctly, will give your thinking mind a break and shift your brainwaves from beta to alpha state.
As a result, you will begin to think for yourself, trust your intuition with more certainty and look for answers to your problems within yourself. When you commit to regular meditation practice of your choice, you will be more connected to your inner guidance system and discover your deepest wisdom.
There are many meditation techniques I personally tried. However, in this article, I am going to give you only 1, which is super simple and very powerful for opening your third eye. This method is known as concentration mediation, and it is described in Osho’s “The Secret of The Golden Flower” book.
Here’s how to do it, according to Master Lu-tsu teaching:
Sit down (or lay down) quietly in any comfortable position of your choice, and for 15 minutes, concentrate all of your awareness on your third eye center (the area between your eyebrows).
You can do it with your eyes closed or open, whichever way works better for you. You can visualize a third eye chakra lotus symbol, a sphere of indigo light, or simply focus on the space itself. To see the results of this practice, you have to commit to 15 minutes of daily practice.
Why is this simple meditation so powerful for the third eye?
The Taoists believe that when your attention flows outward, you are always spending your energy, and as a result, you become more and more empty inside.
When you focus all of your attention and awareness on your third eye center, all of your consciousness is flowing inward, and you can move the energy (light) in a circle.
The light is supposed to flow in both directions at the same time so that you don’t become depleted and turn into a ‘black hole’.
2. Open Your Third Eye With Breathing
There are many different types of breathing techniques described in more detail on this blog (you can check them out in my Heart Chakra Healing Guide article).
Certain breathing techniques are beneficial for all of the higher chakras because they assist with moving the kundalini (life force) energy from lower chakras to the upper ones. When it comes to the most useful breathing techniques for healing your third eye, these are my top recommendations:
Alternate nostril breathing (also known as Nadi Shodana)
This purifying breathing technique works really well for your third eye chakra as it directly activates your Ida and Pingala (subtle energy channels which merge in your head). Alternate nostril breathing can be used to release trapped energy from your lower chakras and calm the mind. Nadi shodana will allow you to experience gentle, cooling sensations throughout your body.
Breath of Fire (also known as Kapalabhati Pranayama)
This is a powerful, detoxifying breathing technique, which involves a series of short and powerful nose inhales (exhale is passive). Breath of fire is very often performed during kundalini yoga exercises. It will increase the blood flow to your head, detoxify the body, and bring more clarity to your mind.
DMT Activating Breathing Techniques
These methods are sometimes performed during kundalini yoga exercises or extended breathing sessions, where you combine hyperventilation techniques with breath retention techniques.
One of the most popular DMT-type of breathing techniques nowadays is the Wim Hof breathing method. It involves a few series of deep inhales and exhales (30 rounds of hyperventilation) with 30-90 seconds (or longer) of breath retention periods.
Some of the DMT breathing techniques involve squeezing the muscles of the perineum during the breath retention phase and pushing the energy from the lower chakras all the way up to your third eye center.
If you are interested in learning some of the more advanced DMT breathing techniques, make sure you consult with an expert in that field because they can produce altered states of consciousness!
This technique consists of 4 cycles of breathing, where you alternate between breathing through your mouth and nose. Gamma breathing shifts your brain into the gamma state.
Gamma brainwaves are of the highest frequency in our brain (40-200Hz), and they are much more active in experienced meditators. This breathing is super easy and very effective in achieving the ultimate brain coherence, which is highly beneficial for healing your third eye chakra.
3. Third Eye Chakra Affirmations
Third eye chakra is very responsive to affirmations because they directly affect your subconscious mind and allow you to see the power of your own thoughts.
Try some of these powerful third eye chakra affirmations, which can be used throughout the day, or during your meditation to strengthen this energy center:
- I am insightful and intuitive.
- I see clearly.
- I think clearly.
- I always honor and follow my intuition.
- I am a conscious creator of my own reality.
- I am connected to my higher self.
- All that I need is within me.
- I quiet my mind with ease to hear the whispers of intuition.
- I am aware of my dreams, and they guide me.
- I trust my decisions.
- I am open to the ideas and perspectives of others
- I nurture my spirit.
- I am constantly expanding my awareness.
- I am introspective and evaluate myself honestly.
4. Third Eye Chakra Yoga Poses
Yoga is a great way to work with your third eye chakra, as certain physical poses (asanas) will allow you to improve the flow of energy in your body and allow you to put some pressure on your forehead area.
Yoga also improves the oxygen circulation to your brain, as most of the yoga exercises involve working with your breath. Some of the best yoga poses to open up your third eye chakra include:
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Childs pose (Balasana)
- Extended Puppy pose (Uttana Shishosana)
- Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana)
- Knees To Chest pose (Apanasana)
- Legs Up The Wall pose (Viparita Karani)
- Headstand (Sirsasana)
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRAS YOGA POSTER TODAY!
5. Opening Third Eye Through Lucid Dreaming
You might be thinking, what’s the relationship between lucid dreaming and third eye chakra?
Third eye chakra is directly linked with your pineal gland, which regulates your circadian rhythm, melatonin production, and many other important bio-rhythms in your body. This gland also has light photoreceptors, just like your eyes (third eye chakra primary element is light).
Activation of your pineal gland is one of the keys to unlocking your creative imagination and being able to enjoy the world of lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is a practice that allows you to become conscious of your dreams.
Many people who decided to become awake in their dreams believe that dreams can help you to find who you really are and what your life purpose is.
If you are interested in the topic of lucid dreaming, I am going to give you some valuable tips on how to get started as I have done extensive research in the past:
- Spend lots of time daily reading about lucid dreaming. New information will prime your subconscious mind and prepare it for a new, exciting experience.
- Start a ‘Dream Journal’ and put it next to your bed. Work on improving your dream recall by writing details of every single dream you had.
- Perform lots of “reality checks” during the day by saying the words “Am I dreaming?” and always aim to justify your answer.
- Avoid blue light and bright artificial light 1 hour before your bedtime.
- Set up a firm intention that you will lucid dream and remember your dreams right before you fall asleep.
- Check out Stephen LaBerge and Michael Raduga materials (books and videos) about lucid dreaming.
- There are lots of generic lucid dreaming videos on YouTube, but I found most of them to be very vague and unclear.
6. Third Eye Chakra Stones and Crystals
Crystal and gemstones are very effective tools for healing your third eye chakra. Some of the best gemstones that will help you to awake your intuition and restore the balance in your third eye center are:
Amethyst – this translucent, purple gemstone is excellent for the third eye chakra. Amethyst will relax your mind and lift your spirit. It is a perfect stone for improving your dream recall, lucid dreaming, and astral projection. Amethyst is also a powerful protection stone.
Lapis Lazuli – it is a protective stone that can help you to contact your Spirit Guides and open your third eye. It recognizes psychic blocks, and it returns the energy back to its source. It stimulates enlightenment and enhances dream work. Lapis Lazuli will open your psychic abilities and guide you on your spiritual journey.
Dark Blue Sapphire – this heavenly blue gemstone is considered to be a stone of wisdom and psychic activation. Sapphire will allow you to access deeper levels of consciousness and stay on your spiritual path. It will increase your intuition, awareness, mental clarity, and restore the energetic balance in your third eye chakra.
You can use any of these powerful third eye chakra stones and crystals by holding them, wearing them in the form of jewelry, or simply having them around your house.
7. Healing Third Eye Chakra with Food
Third eye chakra gives you the ability to open your awareness and tap into your culinary intuition. Some of the most important lessons of your third eye chakra when it comes to food are:
- Follow your intuition when you experience cravings for certain types of food. Try to ask your body what it really needs.
- Don't overthink your food choices. Balanced third eye chakra will allow you to pick an item from a restaurant menu with ease.
- Recognize your food addictions and their connection to your subconscious mind.
- Avoid drinking bad quality water.
- Avoid excessive caffeine (and other stimulants) consumption.
- Avoid excessive alcohol and drug consumption.
- Eat foods which are proven to enhance your brain performance, such as walnuts, brazil nuts, spices, blueberries, avocadoes, broccoli, leafy greens, fish, dark chocolate.
Some of the best purple foods which resonate with your third eye chakra are:
Blueberries, blackberries, purple grapes, purple cabbage, black currants, figs, plums, purple-fleshed potatoes, and any other purple-colored foods.
8. Healing Third Eye Chakra with Essential Oils
Essential oils are a great way of working with the air element of your third eye chakra. They will stimulate your circulatory system, balance the blood pressure, and harmonize your circadian rhythm.
Some of the best essential oils for healing the third eye chakra include cypress, frankincense, chamomile, sandalwood, rosemary, and lemon.
What’s the best way of using essential oils for blocked chakra?
One of the best ways of making the most of your essential oil is using a diffuser or aroma humidifier, which will also create a soothing smell in your room and help you resolve any dry skin issues.
Another great way of using any of the third eye chakra essential oils is to apply them directly onto your forehead or having a relaxing foot massage.
Third Eye Chakra Opening Symptoms
One of the main symptoms of your third eye chakra opening is increased self-awareness. Your intuition level will sharpen, and you will gradually begin to notice more synchronicities, coincidences, and warning signals in your life.
When your third eye begins to open, you will also feel other people’s moods from the distance. At the same time, you stop judging others because you realize that 'we are all One', and the external world is your mirror. Your creative visualization skills begin to improve, so it becomes easier and easier for you to manifest your desired future.
With your third eye opening, you will also experience enhanced sensitivity to light and sound in your waking life and your dreams. Everything will become more vivid, and you begin to see yourself in a different light.
The opening of your third is a beautiful process that will allow you to discover unlimited possibilities beyond your imagination. Once your third eye is fully opened, and if it is used correctly, there will be no limit on what u can achieve with that gift.
Now, I would like to hear from you:
Which healing technique from today’s post are you going to try first?
Or maybe I didn’t mention one of your favorites..
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment right below.
OUR BEST SELLERS
- Davies, B. (2000). The 7 Healing Chakras, Berkeley, CA: Ulysses Press.
- Helbert, K. (2019). The Chakras In Grief and Trauma, London, Singing Dragon.
- Judith, A. (1990). The Truth About Chakras, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Judith, A. (1999). Wheels of Life - A User’s Guide to The Chakra System, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Minich, D.M. (2009). Chakra Foods For Optimum Health, San Francisco, CA: Conari Press.
- Motoyama, H. (1981). Theories of The Chakras, New Delhi: New Age Books.
- Nityabodhananda, R. (2009). Ajna Chakra, Bihar, India: Yoga Publications Trust.
- Perrakis, A. (2018). The Ultimate Guide To Chakras, Beverly: Fair Winds Press.
- Redmond, L. (2010). Chakra Meditation, CO: Sounds True.
- Simpson, S. (2002). Chakras for Starters, Nevada City, CA: Crystal Clarity Publishers.
- Shola Arewa, C. (2001). Way of The Chakras, London: Thorsons.
- Wauters, A. (1997). Chakras and Their Archetypes, London: Judy Piatkus Publishers Ltd.
- Vollmar, K. (1987). Journey through the Chakras, Wellow, Bath: Gateway Books.
7 Chakras Healing Guides
If you enjoyed this article and would like to learn how balance and heal your other chakras, feel free to check out some of our other chakra healing guides on our blog:
- Root Chakra Healing Guide | Muladhara Chakra | 1st Chakra
- Sacral Chakra Healing Guide | Svadhisthana Chakra | 2nd Chakra
- Solar Plexus Chakra Healing Guide | Manipura Chakra | 3rd Chakra
- Heart Chakra Healing Guide | Anahata Chakra | 4th Chakra
- Throat Chakra Healing Guide | Vishuddha Chakra | 5th Chakra
- Crown Chakra Healing Guide | Sahasrara Chakra | 7th Chakra