What is the main difference between humans and all other beings on our planet?
We have all received a unique gift, which gives us the power to communicate with others and express our individuality.
This is the gift of our authentic voice and the ability to speak the truth. The throat chakra holds the key to unlocking this unique gift.
Balanced and healthy blue chakra will allow you to express yourself with clarity and in a creative way.
Would you like to know how to claim this beautiful gift?
Do you want to know how to heal and open your first gateway to higher spiritual realms?
In this article, I'm going to help you to awaken "The Speaker" within you and show you some of the best ways to heal your blocked throat chakra.
1. What Is The Throat Chakra?
2. What Is The Function of Throat Chakra?
3. Throat Chakra Symbol Meaning | What Does The Throat Chakra Represent?
4. Throat Chakra Color Meaning | Why Is The Throat Chakra Blue?
5. Throat Chakra Imbalance
6. Throat Chakra Blockage
7. Throat Chakra Healing
8. How Do I Open My Throat Chakra?
- Throat Chakra Sound Therapy Exercises
> Use Your Own Voice
- Throat Chakra Affirmations
- Throat Chakra Yoga Poses and Neck Exercises
- Throat Chakra Breathing Exercises
> Breath of Fire
> Lions Breath
> Alternate Nostril Breathing
- Throat Chakra Meditation
- Throat Chakra Stones and Crystals
- Healing Throat Chakra with Food
- Healing Throat Chakra with Essential Oils
9. Throat Chakra Opening Symptoms
What Is The Throat Chakra?
The throat chakra is the 5th energy center from the bottom, located at the neck, in the region of the cervical vertebrae, and it reaches from shoulders all the way up to medulla oblongata (part of the brainstem).
Healthy throat chakra vibrates to the color of blue, with ether (space) as its dominant element.
The Sanskrit name for a throat chakra is ‘Vishuddha,’ which means “purification” as it is where higher spiritual energy is channeled into the physical body.
The body requires a certain degree of purification in lower chakras in order to activate the fifth chakra successfully.
Bharatisthana (“God of the Speech”) is another name for this chakra.
What Is The Function of Throat Chakra?
Some of the main functions of throat chakra are communication, purification, creativity, and expressing your authenticity. The throat chakra is the center of sound and speech.
However, the most important aspect of the Throat Chakra function is not how you speak, but what you speak, and how truthful your words are.
In other words, this chakra holds your ability to fearlessly communicate your authentic self. A healthy throat chakra will allow you to express yourself and speak the truth from a place of integrity.
What’s the bottom line?
Communication through sound can be perceived as your first gateway to transcend the limitations of the physical body.
Your ability to communicate things clearly can determine the quality of experiences in your life.
CHAKRA WALL ART & HOME DECOR
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRA AFFIRMATION POSTER TODAY!
Throat Chakra Symbol Meaning
Throat chakra symbol is a bright, blue lotus with 16 petals, decorated by all vowels of the Sanskrit language.
In the center of the lotus, there is a downward-facing triangle with a circle inside of it, representing the element of space (ether) and a syllable 'HAM' हं, known as throat chakra Bija Mantra.
The deity identified with Throat Chakra is Sadashiva, a god/goddess normally dressed in a tiger skin with five heads (representing 5 elements) and ten arms. Sadashiva is an expression of the Yin and Yang equilibrium and eternal purity.
Throat Chakra Color Meaning
Blue color represents freedom, purity, loyalty, imagination, clarity, confidence, and trust.
Blue is regarded to be a color of the spirit, and it is believed to have a beneficial impact on the body and mind. The blue color is also cooling in nature, and it will allow you to feel calmer, more peaceful, and balanced whenever you express yourself.
The element associated with the throat chakra is space, and the biggest open spaces on our planet (sky and sea) are blue.
Throat Chakra Imbalance
One of the main signs of imbalance in your throat chakra is the inability to express yourself and an overall feeling of inadequacy.
The archetype of the person with the closed throat chakra is known as the ‘Silent Child'. Silent Child doesn’t believe that his/her ideas, views, or opinions are valuable to the collective.
This archetype hangs on to its emotions and does not publicly expose its intense pain, hurt, and anger. It suppresses that which is too frightening or unpleasant to say due to feelings of fear and shame. Silent Child sometimes channels this negative energy into artistic and creative endeavors.
Imbalance in Throat Chakra can be also created through substance abuse. Drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, and large quantities of food can be very harmful to Vishuddha, as all of these substances have to pass through the narrow space of the throat.
Take a moment and read through some of the questions below. It will help you to determine whether your throat chakra is out of balance:
- Do you often feel threatened by opposing views and belief systems?
- Do you disapprove of other people's views, just because you have the right to?
- Do you seek the approval of others when you express yourself?
- Are you able to share your views and opinions and completely detach from the negative reaction of others?
- Are you sometimes afraid of being rejected and punished by others?
- Do you struggle with public speaking?
- Do you find it difficult to let go of the past and forgive?
- Are you the person who escapes reality through addictions and substance abuse?
- Do you like to gossip and complain?
- Do you often doubt yourself?
- Are you doing things in your life because you have to, not because you want to?
If you answered ‘yes’ to most of these questions, it might be a good time to restore the balance in your throat chakra by bringing more integrity, truth, and authenticity into your life.
Throat Chakra Blockage
When your throat chakra is blocked, you will experience symptoms of social anxiety, shyness, lack of faith, inability to trust others, desperation, mood swings, and fear of speaking.
One of the main causes of throat chakra blockage is not thinking, speaking, and living in alignment with your true, authentic self.
Here’s why truth is so important for blocked throat chakra:
When you are not aligned with your core values, other people will not see, hear, and recognize your internal truth, either.
If you are unable to listen to other people without judgment or you often feel like you are not being heard by the others when you speak, your throat chakra is most likely blocked.
The throat chakra governs seeking and sharing the truth, so it would be very beneficial for you to drop the habit of gossiping and complaining, as these activities are completely out of alignment with your personal truth.
The main reason why complaining is detrimental for your throat chakra health is that you openly acknowledge that there is something wrong with your reality, and at the same time, you are not doing anything proactive to change it.
FREE Chakras Masterclass with Anodea Judith
We would like to invite you to watch Mindvalley’s new Masterclass with Anodea Judith and explore the topic of Chakras.
Anodea reveals how just ONE blocked Chakra can reject abundance in your life... And how to counter these blocks with a quick 20-minute Chakra healing meditation to let in an abundance of love, wealth, vitality, and meaning.
The Masterclass is free, but available for a limited time only, so don't wait and book your spot now.
Throat Chakra Healing
Your throat chakra healing journey should begin with the process of discovering your own purity and your own unique truth.
Once you discovered your own source of authenticity and individuality, you can start working on expressing it. You can begin by making a clear intention to express and live only in your truth. I realize that truth is a very ambiguous concept, but you need to ask yourself what it means to you.
If you can’t make any significant progress in opening this energy center, it might be helpful to look deep into your childhood and ask yourself these questions:
- Have you ever been silenced and ignored when you were young?
- Have your parents allowed you to speak the truth as a child?
When you wish to heal your throat chakra, you need to be prepared to share your emotions and speak the truth about your suffering. You can do this with a relative, companion, trained therapist, or someone who will be by your side and support you throughout your healing journey.
How Do I Open My Throat Chakra?
One of the first things you can do is to examine what is preventing your throat chakra from being open.
You start by asking yourself a few simple questions:
- What is blocking and hurting me from expressing myself?
- What is keeping me from being able to be myself?
- Why can’t I speak?
- Why am I not listening?
- Who doesn’t understand me?
- What is so terrifying about speaking and hearing the truth?
- Why don’t I speak and act according to my personal integrity?
- Why don’t I feel motivated to be creative and original?
Once you understand the root issue of your blocked throat chakra, you can start connecting to the truth in your life.
Here are some of the best healing methods I personally tried when I was working on restoring balance in my throat chakra:
Throat Chakra Sound Therapy Exercises
The throat chakra is associated with sound, so sound therapy is one of the best healing methods you could try.
There are 2 ways you can approach this type of therapy:
1. USE YOUR OWN VOICE
Some of the best ways to use your own voice are speaking, humming, singing, laughing, shouting, and saying mantras.
Mantra chanting is a great method for balancing the throat chakra and toning up the vocal cords. The sound vibration of the ‘HAM’ mantra directly corresponds to this energy center.
The best way to chant this seed mantra is to try it at different pitch levels, and determine, which level feels the most cleansing for your throat chakra. You are looking for a sound that vibrates at the highest frequency, and it can be associated with a feeling of release and opening.
Another great way to release blocked energy from your throat chakra is singing. It is a very liberating practice, which many of us perform in the shower or car. If you like to sing, do it more often and maybe even try it with the other people at your next karaoke night.
If singing is not your thing, try screaming. Screaming is a primal way of coming into touch with the suffering that you have repressed and which might be consuming you from the inside.
Screaming has a scientifically proven therapeutic value and the potential to release all of the emotional blocks trapped inside your throat chakra. If you are worried that people might consider you as a total weirdo, try screaming in a pillow, alone in the car, or somewhere remote in nature.
You can also work with your throat chakra through mindful speech.
Every time before you speak, ask yourself these questions in your mind:
- Is what I am about to say the truth?
- Is it necessary for me to say this?
- Why is it necessary to say it?
- Is what I am about to say hurtful or harmful?
With that in mind, you can practice speaking openly, honestly, and respectfully with others regularly.
Lastly, let’s not forget about the importance of listening in communication. Active listening is a sign of respect for another person. It can create strong relationships and is an invaluable communication skill.
Let me give you a few quick tips on how to become a great listener:
- Make eye contact.
- Face the speaker.
- Stay present and focus on what is being said.
- Nod your head.
- Wait for the speaker to stop before speaking.
- Repeat back what you heard.
- Ask questions.
Sound and vibration are the essences of the throat chakra, so sound healing therapy is a fantastic way of working with your 5th chakra.
Sound healing is a practice used for thousands of years which uses a variety of sounds, rhythms, and frequencies for healing made through:
- Vocal toning
- Tuning Forks
- Singing Bowls
- And many other instruments
Because all sounds exist at various frequencies and your body emits its own waves too, sound therapy works by matching these waves together and synchronizing your brain (for example, binaural beats).
There are music and sound frequencies, which are created specifically to open up this energy center. Sounds tuned to the frequency of 384Hz and 741Hz are believed to be most beneficial for throat chakra healing.
Throat Chakra Affirmations
Try some of these powerful Throat chakra affirmations, which can be used throughout the day, or during your meditation to strengthen this energy center:
- I hear and speak the truth.
- The truth sets me free.
- I am open and honest in my communication.
- I live an authentic life.
- I am expressing myself with clear intent and confidence.
- I am an important voice in the world, and my voice is heard.
- What I have to say is valuable to others.
- I love to share my experiences and wisdom.
- I know when it is time to listen.
- I am safe and trust others to allow me to express myself truthfully.
- By expressing my truth, others find a way to their truth.
- I live in my truth, I communicate my truth, I am the truth.
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRA AFFIRMATION POSTER TODAY!
Throat Chakra Yoga Poses and Neck Exercises
Yoga is a great way to work with your Throat chakra, as certain physical poses (asanas) will allow you to open up your shoulders and release the tension from your neck.
Yoga also improves the oxygen circulation in your body, as most of the yoga exercises involve working with your breath
Some of the best yoga poses to open up your throat chakra include:
- Neck rolls and neck stretches – these are great warm-up exercises before your yoga session as they reduce the upper back, neck, and jaw tension. Any of these areas can contain enormous quantities of stress and require daily stretching.
- Cat Cow pose (Bitilasana Marjaryasana)
- Seated Cat Cow pose (Upavistha Bitilasana Marjaryasana)
- Fish pose (Matsyasana)
- Cobra pose (Bhujangasana)
- Baby Cobra pose (Ardha Bhujangasana)
- Puppy pose (Uttana Shishosana)
GET YOUR COLORFUL 7 CHAKRAS YOGA POSTER TODAY!
Throat Chakra Breathing Exercises
Breath of Fire
One of the best breathing techniques for your throat chakra is Breath of Fire, also known as Kapalabhati Pranayama.
Breath of fire is a powerful detoxifying breathing technique, which involves a series of short and powerful nose inhales (exhale is passive). Breath of fire is very often performed during kundalini yoga exercises. It will increase the blood flow to your throat center, detoxify the body, and bring more clarity to your mind.
Kapalabhati is an intermediate breathing technique, and it is not recommended for people with certain health conditions. Please consult with a physician, or check with a qualified yoga instructor before trying this technique.
Lion’s Breath, also known as Simha Pranayama is another powerful breathing technique that can improve blood circulation and strengthen the muscles in your throat.
Here’s how to do it:
- Sit down on the knees with your back straight and make yourself comfortable.
- Take a deep breath into the belly.
- Exhale all of the oxygen out of your belly and make an audible ‘Haaaa!” sound.
- Keep your tongue out as far as it reaches during the exhalation.
- Try to keep your eyes focused on your third eye center, between your eyebrows.
- Hold the final position for 20 to 30 seconds before you breathe again.
- Repeat the breath for 3 to 5 rounds, holding the intention to release any toxins from your body and heal your throat chakra.
Alternate nostril breathing
Alternate nostril breathing, also known as nadi shodana, is a purifying breathing technique used to release trapped energy channels in your body and calm the mind.
Nadi shodana will fill your heart center with oxygen and allow you to experience a gentle, cooling sensation throughout your body.
Here’s how to do alternate nostril breathing:
- Sit down with your back straight.
- Take your index finger and middle finger of your right hand and fold it towards your palm.
- Use the right thumb to close the right nostril and slowly inhale through the left nostril.
- Pause after the inhale and seal the left nostril with your ring finger
- Slowly exhale through the right nostril.
- Keep your ring finger in the same place and inhale through the right side.
- Seal the right nostril with a thumb and exhale through the left.
- Keep your thumb in the same place and inhale through the left nostril.
Throat Chakra Meditation
Throat chakra meditation can help you to accelerate the process of purification and healing of this energy center.
During this mediation, you will imagine the vibrant, blue color and concentrate on the ether (space) element associated with this chakra.
- Sit down with your back straight and relax your body by taking few deep breaths.
- Once you are fully relaxed, close your eyes and feel the space in the body by slowly moving your attention from the bottom of the body to your head.
- Start with your feet, then your legs, stomach, chest, arms, throat, and finish at the top of your head (this technique is known in meditation as a body scan).
- Once you have finished with the body scan, start connecting with space all around your body – begin with your room and start stretching it out in all directions, towards infinity.
- Spend a few minutes floating in the vast sea of light, enjoying the silence and bliss of the infinite space.
- As you go deeper into this meditation, gently shift your attention to your throat chakra and imagine a blue circle of energy right in the middle of your throat.
- Keep on breathing into your throat center and inflate this circle with intentions of truth, authenticity, and confidence – feel free to use some of the throat chakra affirmations from this article.
- Enjoy the healing energy which emanates from your throat space and leave all worries behind you.
- Stay in this state for at least a few minutes to integrate this transformative energy.
- Finish your meditation by placing the left hand on your chest and saying the words: “The truth sets me free!”.
OUR BEST SELLERS
Throat Chakra Stones and Crystals
Crystal and gemstones are perfect for healing your throat chakra. Some of the best gemstones that will help you to restore balance in your throat center are:
Turquoise – this gorgeous stone will allow you to increase creative energy in your throat chakra. It activates and harmonizes the throat chakra to promote the articulation of one’s deepest knowledge. Turquoise can help you to overcome shyness and encourage you to better express yourself to contribute to the collective.
Blue Lace Agate – this soft, blue gemstone is considered to be one of the best communication stones. It will allow you to express your true feelings to others. It can also help you to think with more clarity and focus on what is most important.
Aquamarine – this sparkling, light blue stone can help you to overcome a fear of public speaking. Aquamarine activates the throat chakra to its original capacity to express the highest and most genuine truth. It can help you to talk openly and without frustration in tough situations. For both men and women, aquamarine is also an empowerment stone.
You can use any of these powerful throat chakra stones and crystals by holding them, wearing them in the form of jewelry, or simply having them around your house.
GET YOUR COLORFUL CHAKRA STONES CHART TODAY!
Throat Chakra Food
The throat chakra is known as your center of purification, so various forms of fasting and detoxification techniques are very beneficial for Vishuddha.
If you are new to healing through fasting, you can start by experimenting with intermittent fasting by gradually reducing the number of hours when you consume food.
The throat chakra is also vital for your connection to food. To a big extent, you experience every meal through the throat chakra, with your senses of smell and taste.
Saliva in your mouth allows you to break down diverse nutrients, making them available for your stomach. The throat chakra governs your ability to choose the right foods for your highest good.
Some of the most important lessons of your throat chakra when it comes to food are:
- Exchange communication with others during your meals.
- Aim to eat slower and chew your food.
- Pay attention to your senses during a meal (for example, avoid talking while chewing your food).
- Express your gratitude for a meal.
- Choose only the highest quality ingredients for your meals (organic, locally grown, and sourced).
Throat chakra main element is ether, so the best foods to consume are the ones, which bridge the gap between different elements:
- Sea plants (Water-Earth) - plants such as kelp, dulse, or nori are excellent choices for your thyroid health.
- Soups (Earth-Water).
- Cold-pressed juices (Earth-Water).
Variety of ethnic foods.
Healing Throat Chakra with Essential Oils
Essential oils are a great way of working with the ether element of the throat chakra. They will stimulate your circulatory system, balance the blood pressure, and harmonize the rhythm of your throat.
Some of the best essential oils for healing the throat chakra include eucalyptus, peppermint, cypress, sage, jasmine, frankincense, and lavender.
What’s the best way of using essential oils for blocked chakra?
One of the best ways of making the most of your essential oil is using a diffuser or aroma humidifier, which will also create a soothing smell in your room and help you resolve any dry skin issues.
Another great way of using any of the throat chakra essential oils is to apply them directly onto your skin or having a relaxing foot massage.
Throat Chakra Opening Symptoms
Your throat chakra will begin to open when you start living an authentic life, stand by your word with integrity, and say what you feel.
When you finally discover your truth, you will realize that you begin to act as a catalyst to awaken other people to their authenticity.
People with fully developed throat chakras have access to few more throat chakra gifts, such as telepathy (communication across time and space), clairaudience, and channeling.
So, how is your throat chakra healing journey going?
Your voice is important: let us know in the comments below!
- Davies, B. (2000). The 7 Healing Chakras, Berkeley, CA: Ulysses Press.
- Helbert, K. (2019). The Chakras In Grief and Trauma, London, Singing Dragon.
- Judith, A. (1990). The Truth About Chakras, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Judith, A. (1999). Wheels of Life - A User’s Guide to The Chakra System, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Minich, D.M. (2009). Chakra Foods For Optimum Health, San Francisco, CA: Conari Press.
- Motoyama, H. (1981). Theories of The Chakras, New Delhi: New Age Books.
- Perrakis, A. (2018). The Ultimate Guide To Chakras, Beverly: Fair Winds Press.
- Redmond, L. (2010). Chakra Meditation, CO: Sounds True.
- Simpson, S. (2002). Chakras for Starters, Nevada City, CA: Crystal Clarity Publishers.
- Shola Arewa, C. (2001). Way of The Chakras, London: Thorsons.
- Wauters, A. (1997). Chakras and Their Archetypes, London: Judy Piatkus Publishers Ltd.
- Vollmar, K. (1987). Journey through the Chakras, Wellow, Bath: Gateway Books.
Would you like to take your chakra healing knowledge to the next level and learn more from some of these wonderful authors?
We have created a comprehensive list of Top 10 Chakra Healing Books Available To Buy Right Now.
7 Chakras Healing Guides
If you enjoyed this article and would like to learn how balance and heal your other chakras, feel free to check out some of our other chakra healing guides:
- Root Chakra Healing Guide | Muladhara Chakra | 1st Chakra
- Sacral Chakra Healing Guide | Svadhisthana Chakra | 2nd Chakra
- Solar Plexus Chakra Healing Guide | Manipura Chakra | 3rd Chakra
- Heart Chakra Healing Guide | Anahata Chakra | 4th Chakra
- Third Eye Chakra Healing Guide | Ajna Chakra | 6th Chakra
- Crown Chakra Healing Guide | Sahasrara Chakra | 7th Chakra