How much willpower do you have to go after your goals and manifest your dreams into reality?
Do you consider yourself as a strong and confident person who is not afraid to pursue your own destiny?
Before I asked myself these important questions, I thought I had a strong and balanced solar plexus chakra.
I would do lots of things half-heartedly and I couldn’t go after my goals with full energy and fire.
In this article, I am going to share with you everything I learned through my personal exploration of fiery solar plexus chakra.
You will finally discover what really rules all aspects of your personality and ego.
You will also learn how to anchor inner-strength of a warrior and completely transform your life!
1. What Is The Solar Plexus Chakra?
2. Where Is The Solar Plexus Chakra?
3. What Is The Function of Solar Plexus Chakra?
4. What Does The Solar Plexus Chakra Represent?
5. Why Is The Solar Plexus Chakra Yellow?
6. What Are The Main Signs Of Imbalanced Solar Plexus Chakra?
7. Overactive Solar Plexus Chakra
8. Underactive Solar Plexus Chakra - Solar Plexus Chakra Blockage
9. What Causes Solar Plexus Chakra Imbalance?
10. Solar Plexus Chakra Healing
11. How Do I Balance And Heal My Solar Plexus Chakra?
- Break Inertia
- Solar Plexus Chakra Yoga Poses
- Open Yourself To The Energy Of Sun
- Fix Your Circadian Rhythm
- Solar Plexus Chakra Meditation
- Solar Plexus Chakra Affirmations
- Solar Plexus Chakra Stones and Crystals
- Healing Solar Plexus Chakra with Food
- Healing Solar Plexus Chakra with Essential Oils
12. Solar Plexus Chakra Opening Symptoms
What Is The Solar Plexus Chakra?
Solar plexus chakra is the third chakra from the bottom, located in the stomach area, couple of inches above the navel.
Healthy solar plexus chakra vibrates to the color of yellow, with fire as its dominant element.
The Sanskrit name for solar plexus chakra is 'manipura', which translates to “city of lustrous jewels”, where mani means jewel, and pur means city.
Solar plexus chakra can be also called Mani Padma (jewelled lotus) or Nabhi Padma (navel lotus).
You can think of third chakra as a glowing, yellow Sun, which radiates through the center of your body and rules all aspects of your personal power.
What's the relationship of solar plexus chakra to other chakras?
When you put together matter (root chakra) and movement (sacral chakra), you'll find that they create a third state: energy.
With the assistance of solar plexus chakra, all of your creative dreams harboured in your sacral chakra can be externally manifested.
Want to know the best part?
Solar Plexus has the biggest concentration of pranic energy, because 72,000 nadis (conduits of pranic energy) meet here and radiate from this center.
It is center of your personal identity which rules all aspects of your personality, self-esteem and ego.
Where Is The Solar Plexus Chakra?
Solar plexus chakra is the third chakra from the bottom, located at the lumbar point on the same horizontal plane as your navel.
Centre of the solar plexus chakra can be found around 2 inches above the navel, just below the sternum.
In the body, solar plexus chakra is associated with stomach, gallbladder, spleen, liver and pancreas.
Third chakra governs your metabolism and it is responsible for the regulation and distribution of metabolic energy throughout the body.
What Is The Function of Solar Plexus Chakra?
Main function and purpose of your solar plexus chakra is transformation.
The fire within your 3rd chakra has the ability to transform matter into dynamic energy and power.
Your solar plexus chakra embodies the element of fire and your dynamic, transformative relationship to the external world, including relationship to yourself.
Through the process of transformation, your solar plexus chakra provides the body with fuel, energy and keeps it alive.
Fire is the spark of life that ignites the transformation process.
What Does The Solar Plexus Chakra Represent?
Solar Plexus Chakra Symbol Meaning
Solar plexus chakra symbol is represented by a yellow lotus with 10 petals and inverted, red triangle of fire (Tejas) in the middle.
Seed mantra in the centre of solar plexus chakra symbol is the sound syllable ram.
Triangle with T-shaped arms on each side represents the Sun and it is often portrayed on Hindu paintings of manipura with god Vahni, supported by a ram.
Each petal of the lotus corresponds to one aspect of Bradha Rudra, who is the deity of this chakra.
The black letters (vrittis) on the petals of manipura symbol can be translated to:
- Spiritual Ignorance (avidya)
- Thirst (trishna)
- Jealousy (dvesh)
- Treachery (krurta)
- Shame (lajja)
- Fear (bhai)
- Disgust (nirasha)
- Foolishness (murkhta)
- Sadness (udasinta)
Why Is The Solar Plexus Chakra Yellow?
Yellow color is associated with fire energy, which can break down other elements
Yellow is also the color of Sun, which is the main source of heat and energy for our entire Solar System.
Solar plexus chakra has the same purpose for your body as the Sun for Earth – it supplies you with energy and fuel for all of your biological processes
Yellow is a color of energy, enlightenment, optimism and increased mental activity.
Healthy and balanced solar plexus chakra vibrates to the yellow and gold colors of the sun rays.
Want to know the best part?
Yellow is being used in chromotherapy as a stimulating color for patients with eating disorders and anorexia to activate their metabolism.
Solar plexus chakra governs our digestion and metabolism, so if you experience any problems with your metabolism bring more yellow into your life!
Yellow is also most visible color of entire spectrum and it is very often used on all of the warning signs.
Our solar plexus chakra is one of the best indicators of our overall health and we shouldn’t neglect any warning signs coming out of this yellow energy centre.
What Are The Main Signs Of Imbalanced Solar Plexus Chakra?
Some of the major signs of your solar plexus chakra imbalance are normally expressed in your misuse of personal power.
If you have a tendency to use your personal power to manipulate others or experience the feeling of powerlessness most of the time, your solar plexus chakra is imbalanced.
Take a moment and read through some of the questions below.
It will help you to determine whether you solar plexus chakra is out of balance:
- Do feel that you are overanalyzing your decisions in life to the point of exhaustion?
- Are you always tired from working long hours?
- Are you overweight and have issues with your digestion, such as heartburn or ulcers?
- Do feel the need of doing everything by yourself and unwilling to let go of your ability to control everything in your reality?
- Do you always have a strong stance and are you reluctant to listen to the opinions of others?
- Do you consider yourself as a very competitive person, even when it comes to play time?
- Do you feel that you are not enough when it comes to social situations due to low self-esteem?
- Do you feel sad, angry and depressed when things get out of your control?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, it might be a good time to look into restoring the balance of your solar plexus centre.
Overactive Solar Plexus Chakra
When your solar plexus chakra is overactive you may feel the need to always seek after power and domination over other people, and conflict dominates your life.
This type of imbalance in third chakra leads to mistrust of life, fear of letting go and becoming too competitive.
Another clue to overactive solar plexus chakra is getting into situations that justify the response of anger.
It is extremely difficult to break away from these types of behaviours, because person who believes that “He has a right to be mad!”, doesn’t have enough awareness to look at the situation objectively.
If you suffer from overactive solar plexus chakra, you most likely experience following symptoms:
- Misuse of power
- Being manipulative and egoistical
- Feeling superior over other people
- Anger, aggressiveness and rage
- Jealousy and comparing yourself to other people
- Ruthless ambition
- Refusing to take responsibility for your own actions
- Indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, leaky gut and other digestive disorders
Underactive Solar Plexus Chakra.
Solar Plexus Chakra Blockage
When your solar plexus chakra is blocked or underactive you may feel tired, lethargic and emotionally withdrawn from life.
Closed third chakra will effect in lack of energy, fear of confronting people and aversion to risk taking.
Most of these behaviours stem from lack of self-esteem and low self-confidence.
Feelings of guilt and shame also play a big role in under-expression of solar plexus chakra, because they will drive you away from standing up for yourself and having healthy boundaries.
Excess weight can also be a sign of underactive solar plexus chakra, because the body doesn’t metabolize the food you consume into energy.
If you suffer from underactive solar plexus chakra, you most likely experience following symptoms:
- Lack of energy and motivation
- Lack of drive, determination and direction in life
- Low self-esteem and low confidence
- Always seeking confirmation from others
- Always trying to fit in and please others
- Feeling guilty and ashamed when you say “no” to people
- Tiredness and fatigue
- Coldness in the solar plexus region
- Slow metabolism, obesity
What Causes Solar Plexus Chakra Imbalance?
Trauma and distress experienced in the early childhood and teenage years is one of the main reasons for solar plexus chakra imbalance.
What’s more important, these experiences are only outward manifestation of deep, emotional issues which are trapped inside your sacral chakra (second chakra).
Keep in mind that, both solar plexus chakra and sacral chakra are intimately connected.
What’s the main difference here?
The only difference here is that your solar plexus chakra keeps developing as you mature, and formulate your sense individuality.
Solar plexus chakra growth culminates from ages 14 to 21, when you enter into the stage of young adulthood and formulate your personality.
This is normally a time, when you decide what you want to pursue in life, because you have much stronger sense of power over your life.
What’s the bottom line:
When you begin your search for the root of third chakra imbalance, be prepared to dig deep into early childhood and young adulthood memories.
You’ll probably find issues and feelings that have been buried into your subconscious mind for many years, such as shame, grief, pain, anger, abandonment and fear.
Once you are ready to heal and release some of these negative emotions which govern your ego, you’ll come to your true power.
Solar Plexus Chakra Healing
Healing Solar Plexus Chakra requires strengthening and establishing the sense of your personal identity and self-worth.
Healing solar plexus chakra also involves detaching yourself completely from the need of being accepted by others and working on expressing your true individuality into the world.
This is not an easy process, because it requires cultivating a deep awareness and looking at yourself from an objective point of view.
When your solar plexus chakra is healthy, your ego is strong and balanced at the same time.
Important part of healing our solar plexus chakra is also learning to trust our ‘gut instinct’, especially if you struggle with self-doubt, indecisiveness and low confidence
How Do I Balance And Heal My Solar Plexus Chakra?
Hardest thing about unblocking your solar plexus chakra is just getting started.
Fire, which is a primary element of third chakra, moves always upward, so initially we just need to focus on overcoming our inertia and get to work.
Healing and balancing your solar plexus chakra is a beautiful process because it will completely transform you character and personality.
You will be working on improving your self-worth, self esteem, personal power and balancing your ego.
Here are some of the best healing methods I have personally tried when I was working on restoring balance in my solar plexus chakra:
1. Break Inertia
Breaking boring and repetitive patterns in your life is one of the best ways to step out of the powerlessness.
Step outside of your comfort zone and try to experience something new today.
Overcoming difficulties and cultivating your personal power will increase your self-esteem confidence.
What are the best ways to break out of stagnation?
If your solar plexus chakra is very underactive you can start with small and simple challenges, for example:
- Do 5 sit ups as soon as you get up from the bed
- Go for a 15 minute walk/jog in the morning
- Find a new way to drive to work
- Get your groceries from a different shopping centre
- Try 15 seconds of cold water exposure at the end of your hot shower
2. Solar Plexus Chakra Yoga PosesBalancing solar plexus chakra with yoga exercises involves building strength and flexibility in your core, and in all of the muscles surrounding your stomach.
Yoga is also great way to break your inertia, especially if you decide to do different set of poses every day. Try one of 30-day Yoga with Adriene video series on Youtube, she has been releasing them over the last few years at the beginning of each year
Some of the best poses, that I found to be beneficial for solar plexus chakra are:
- Sun Salutations (Surya Namaskar)
- Plank Pose (Kumbhakasana)
- Upward Plank Pose (Purvottanasana)
- Boat Pose (Paripurna Navasana)
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Firefly Pose (Tittibhasana)
3. Open Yourself To The Energy Of SunThe Sun is the ruling planet and element of your solar plexus chakra so getting outdoor on a sunny day is a great idea to recharge your yellow chakra.
You can begin opening yourself to energy of sun by going for a 15 minute walk, first thing in the morning and enjoying that beautiful sunrise.
Sunbathing will not only energize your body, but it will also boost your Vitamin D levels.
Vitamin D is one of the key vitamins responsible for correct calcium utilisation in our body and it can greatly reduce the risk of many diseases such as cancer and diabetes.
If you live in the country with high UV radiation, aim to get your sun exposure early in the morning or late in the afternoon.
Want to know the best part?
Chemical structure of haemoglobin (one of the essential proteins in red blood cells that carries oxygen to your cells) in human body is almost identical to chlorophyll!
The only difference is that haemoglobin is built around iron element and chlorophyll is built around magnesium element.
Chlorophyll is a photosynthetic molecule found in plants, which is responsible for absorbing energy from light.
4. Fix Your Circadian RhythmSolar plexus chakra function is directly linked with large number of cycles in our body.
Evolution has installed in us a powerful internal clock and all we had before invention of light bulb (patented in 1879 by Edison) was the sunlight.
Artificial light such as fluorescent light bulbs, halogen light bulbs or cool white LEDs are ruining your natural, circadian rhythm which is based on the cycle of the Sun.
When the Sun is high in the sky in the middle of the day, it is blue-shifted (over 5000 K) and as the day goes by, it becomes more red-shifted (below 3000 K).
Understanding this cycle will help you to correctly regulate your melatonin production (hormone produced by your pineal gland) – you’ll be more alert during the day and sleep better during the night.
So how do you go about fixing your circadian rhythm?
Most of the issues related to your solar plexus chakra, such as obesity, low energy levels, always feeling tired and getting upset easily, can be completely eliminated by implementing some of these simple strategies and tools into your daily life:
- Get outside for a minimum of 15-20 minutes every morning
- Avoid wearing glasses, contact lenses and sunglasses when possible
- Do not block your windows during the day with blinds or curtains
- Use blue light blocking glasses after the sunset
- Download and install ‘f.lux’ application on your computer (it’s free)
- Remove all of the cool white LEDs and use orange & red light bulbs in the evening
- Use candlelight or fire in the evening
What’s the bottom line:
The idea here is to get as much natural light as possible (especially during first part of the day) in order to set your body clock, and reduce all sources of artificial (especially blue light) as the night comes.
5. Solar Plexus Chakra MeditationOne of my favourite solar plexus chakra meditation techniques is fire meditation.
This meditation is very similar to any other traditional meditation practice.
The only difference is that you will sit in front of the candle during your practice.
Here’s how to do solar plexus chakra fire meditation:
- Before your start this fire meditation, light up your favourite candle
- Sit down in a lotus pose with your spine straight, relax your body and take a few deep breaths
- Look at the candle and imagine that the wick is your physical body and the flame is the energy of your body, radiating into the Universe
- Spend couple of minutes breathing deep and looking into the image of the golden flame
- Imagine merging with the flame and see yourself as a pure, universal light and energy
- As you go deeper into this meditation, gently shift your focus to your solar plexus chakra and imagine a yellow ball of flame inside this area
- Visualize it getting warmer, expanding and burning through all obstacles
- Fell the power of fire inside your body and visualize how it transforms your life and gives you infinite energy and strength
- Stay in this powerful state for few minutes to integrate this transformative energy
- Finish this meditation with a words of gratitude and allow this light to shine in front of you giving you the power to change your life.
6.Solar Plexus Chakra AffirmationsHere are some of the most powerful solar plexus chakra affirmations which you can use during your meditation to strengthen this energy centre:
- I am worthy because I exist
- I am strong and powerful in a loving manner
- I stand up for myself
- I am able to set boundaries and stand my ground firmly when needed
- I love and accept myself
- I choose the best for myself
- I feel my own power and I choose the power of life
- I express myself in a powerful way
- I use my drive and my passion to improve my life as well as the others
- I am worthy of love, kindness, and respect, regardless of what I have done
- My entire body is filled with vibrant energy and divine light
- I have the ability to be confident and in control of my life
7. Solar Plexus Chakra Stones and Crystals
Just like every other chakra, manipura can be balanced with specific stones and crystals.
Gemstones that are golden or yellow vibrate at the right frequency to activate your solar plexus chakra.
What crystals and stones are good for solar plexus chakra?
Some of the best gemstones that will help you to heal solar plexus chakra, include amber, citrine, tiger’s eye and topaz.
You can use any these powerful solar plexus chakra stones and crystals by holding them, wearing them in the form of jewelry or simply having them around your house.
Amber – it is an organic stone which has been created from dried tree resin millions of years ago. Amber has a strong connection to sun and earth and often carries within ancient organisms and plant matter. Amber will enhance your motivation and drive in a balanced way and boost your confidence, optimism and well-being.
Amber is a gemstone of health and powerful natural purifier which can help you to heal all of your body ailments associated with solar plexus chakra
Citrine – this pretty gemstone is believed to bring more confidence, clarity and meaning into your life. It will help you to become more positive, optimistic and go through some of the biggest challenges in life with ease. Physically, citrine is one of the best stones for your digestive organs as it supports your metabolism.
Golden Topaz – it is traditional stone for courage and healing and it can bring healing to our solar plexus chakra by boosting our self-confidence. It will allow you to better manage your fear, anxiety and anger. Physically, it is believed to improve your digestion and metabolism.
Golden Tiger’s Eye – tiger’s eye is a great gemstone to increase your personal power, strength and vitality. This beautiful gemstone holds the optimistic and warm energy of the sun and it can help you to be more positive. Physically, it can help you to slow down your metabolism and improve your digestion.
8. Healing Solar Plexus Chakra with FoodIntroducing healthy meals into your diet is a great way to start balancing your solar plexus chakra because food represents energy which gives us power.
Your solar plexus chakra is the center of food digestion, absorption and it transforms the energy of foods that you eat, into energy that you can use in life.
Before getting into the details of which foods are good for your third chakra, let’s talk about physical hunger.
Feeling of hunger comes from directly from your gut area and it is a signal from your solar plexus chakra to replenish your supplies.
Your body is asking you to pay attention, so aim to eat only when you hear this signal – both overeating and under eating are detrimental for your solar plexus chakra health.
You will feel at your absolute best when you eat until you’re 80% full.
Eating too much will take away your sense of power, overload your digestive system and make you feel tired.
So, which foods are good for solar plexus chakra?
Healthy solar plexus chakra vibrates at the frequency similar to the yellow color, therefore eating yellow-colored foods such as bananas, pineapples, pears, grapefruits, mangoes, ginger, yellow string beans, yellow split peas, lentils and quinoa will help you to restore the balance in your third chakra.
Your solar plexus chakra’s favourite group of foods are good quality carbohydrates.
Root chakra builds foundation of your body with proteins, sacral chakra favours fats and solar plexus goes after energy from simple (for example banana) and complex carbohydrates (brown rice, sweet potatoes).
That’s not all when it comes to healing your yellow chakra with foods:
Important factor when it comes to nutrition and your fiery solar plexus chakra is the balance between cooked, and raw foods you consume.
When you solar plexus chakra is overactive, you might benefit from adding more raw foods into your diet because they have a “cooling effect”.
On the other hand, cooked foods might be beneficial for someone with underactive solar plexus chakra because they have a “warming effect”.
Everybody is different so just try to experiment with that and see what types of food work best for your solar plexus chakra and give you most energy.
9. Healing Solar Plexus Chakra with Essential Oils
Aromatherapy and essential oils with earthy aroma can be great tools for restoring the balance in within blocked solar plexus chakra, because they can either stimulate you (underactive 3rd chakra) or soothe you (overactive 3rd chakra).
Some of the best essential oils for healing the solar plexus chakra include grapefruit, ginger root, lemon, mint, cypress, cedarwood and black pepper.
What’s the best way of using essential oils for blocked chakra?
One of the best ways of making the most of your essential oil is using diffuser or aroma humidifier which will also create soothing smell in your room and help you resolve any dry skin issues.
Another great way of using any of the solar plexus chakra essential oils is to apply them directly onto your skin or having a relaxing foot massage.
Solar Plexus Chakra Opening SymptomsYour solar plexus chakra will open up as soon as you start to understand your place in the world and move towards healthy self-image with full confidence.
This process requires developing self-awareness, self-love and fully accepting of who you are in the present moment.
When your solar plexus chakra opens up, you’ll finally understand how to use your personal power to bring your biggest gifts into this world.
In that moment, you’ll stop living in competitive state of mind and understand the true meaning of collaboration and abundance.
- Helbert, K. (2019). The Chakras In Grief and Trauma, London, Singing Dragon
- Judith, A. (1990). The Truth About Chakras, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Judith, A. (1999). Wheels of Life - A User’s Guide to The Chakra System, St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Publications.
- Minich, D.M. (2009). Chakra Foods For Optimum Health, San Francisco, CA: Conari Press.
- Redmond, L. (2010). Chakra Meditation, CO: Sounds True
- Simpson, S. (2002). Chakras for Starters, Nevada City, CA: Crystal Clarity Publishers.
- Shola Arewa, C. (2001). Way of The Chakras, London: Thorsons.
- Davies, B. (2000). The 7 Healing Chakras, Berkeley, CA: Ulysses Press.
- Vollmar, K. (1987). Journey through the Chakras, Wellow, Bath: Gateway Books.
- Motoyama, H. (1981). Theories of The Chakras, New Delhi: New Age Books